This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TUNNEL PORTAL IN THE JOHN SMITH PLAYING FIELD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TUNNEL PORTAL IN THE JOHN SMITH PLAYING FIELD

List entry Number: 1254110

Location

TUNNEL PORTAL IN THE JOHN SMITH PLAYING FIELD, CHAIGLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Longridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183050

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. SD 611 378 LONGRIDGE OFF CHAIGLEY ROAD in the John Smith Playing Field

7/121A Tunnel Portal

2. II

West portal of a tunnel, which is now blocked at the other end, dated 1839. Sandstone. The centre piece of the portal is flat on plan and projects a little between abutments which curve forward. All the masonry is rusticated and rock-faced. The tunnel is, apparently, an elliptical tube of coursed stone, and the voussoirs of the entrance are individually rusticated and rock-faced under a plan projecting string course. The taller keystone bears a panel incised with the letters P & L R 1839 FHP CT Overall is a smoother-faced blocking course (of single stones over the centre piece and of three shallow courses over the abutments) and a flat coping. Many of the stones bear masons' marks.

History: built for the Preston and Longridge Railway Company's line from Tootle Height Quarry which was opened in 1840. The chairman was Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood (to whom the initials FHP are said to refer).



Listing NGR: SD6115337826

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 61155 37821

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 06:04:04.

End of official listing