- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LAWFORD HALL, CHURCH HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254131 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 07:05:18.
- Statutory Address:
- LAWFORD HALL, CHURCH HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tendring (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 08770 31803
LAWFORD CHURCH HILL
TM 03 SE
2/102 Lawford Hall 21.2.50 - I
Large house. Said to have been built circa 1580-83 for the Waldegrave family, of possibly earlier origin with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered. South front altered about 1756 by Mr. Edward Green with a red brick facade. Red plain tiled roofs, north and south gables hipped as are the 2 north stair turrets. Half H plan with long wings extending to north and breaking forward to south. Tall external octagonal shaft chimney stacks with offset and moulded bases, moulded capping to south east and-south west walls and an external stack with 3 attached diagonal shafts to north wall of central range, a similar 3 shafted stack crosses the ridge of the eastern wing, there is a plain stack in a similar position to the western wing, 2 plain stacks to rear of eastern stair turret and western side of central range, external north east stack. Of 2 and 3 storeys and attics. The 2 storey and attics south face with parapet and moulded band under following through crosswing returns to left and right chimney stacks. Stone ball finials to angles of crosswings. Central band. Of 2:1:3:1:2 window range the central 3 bays break forward"and the moulded pediment breaks through the parapet, semi-circular lunette to pediment, other windows small paned vertically sliding sashes with gauged brick arches. Central moulded pedimented doorcase with scroll brackets, part glazed door. The north face of the central range with a flat roofed, ground floor extension between the end stair turrets. Left, (east) turret with upper and central 4 light and lower 3 light mullion windows, right (west) turret with upper 4 light mullion and lower large cross transomed 5 light window. The ground floor with 4 small paned vertically sliding sash windows, central door with moulded surround, carved swags, moulded frieze, moulded broken pediment on moulded scroll brackets. To the left of the chimney stack above the door is a small paned vertically sliding sash window. Brickwork to right of the stack with a round headed niche and 6 small openings set in a triangular pattern. All eaves cornices to north, east and west faces are moulded and supported by ornate cast iron brackets. The eastern crosswing is of 3 storeys and attics to north and west, 2 storeys and attics to south ends, with dormers facing into the courtyard. Jetty to north second floor with end carved braces and moulded bressumer. The ground floor of C16 red brick with chamfered brick window with 6 light moulded mullion of wood to north face, the base of the north eastern chimney stack of similar brick. 2 small paned vertically sliding sashes to north face 2nd floor, a 3 light cross transom window to first floor. The east face of east crosswing has 2 attached gabled extensions of different heights facing east, each of one window range,that to south with an angled oriel. Small gabled dormer to south east, 7 upper, 6 central and 3 lower windows, small paned vertically sliding sashes or vari-light cross transoms, some original. Vertically boarded door with fanlight over to south east. The western face of the east crosswing has 3 upper and central various windows. The western wing, west face was cased in brick at the same time as the south front and is symmetrical with the chimney stacks projecting at each end, parapet with ball finials, 6 windows range of small paned vertically sliding sashes. The east face of west wing with 2 flat headed dormers. 4 window range small paned vertically sliding sashes, vertically boarded door to north. The north face of crosswing is jettied to upper floor with end brackets, 3 small paned vertically sliding sash windows. Below the jetty an original window of 5 lights with moulded mullions and transom. Low cast iron railings with ornate scrollwork posts and gate enclose the garden to the east. Interior not inspected at time of re-survey but said to contain a number of original features and many of the CLB features including a fine hall, the walls divided by pilasters, some C17 panelling and an original doorway with moulded frame. Some re-set C15 and C16 stained glass roundels and shields. N. Pevsner Essex 1976. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TM0877031803
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1976)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing