LITTLE CRITTENDEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254229

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: LITTLE CRITTENDEN, CRITTENDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE CRITTENDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 10:08:27.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE CRITTENDEN, CRITTENDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Brenchley

National Grid Reference: TQ 65638 43378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 SE PADDOCK WOOD CRITTENDEN ROAD

6/325 Little Crittenden

II House. Circa mid C15 origins, re-roofed and extended following a fire in 1937. The main block is framed construction, the ground floor underbuilt in brick; peg-tile roof replacing thatch (photograph in the possession of the owner); brick stack. 1937 addition brick with a peg-tile roof.

Plan: The house faces north and is set back from the road. The medieval block appears to have been a 2-cell plan; a 2-bay hall to the right (west) with a probably storeyed one-bay block at the left (east) end and a putative cross passage between, into which the stack was inserted when the hall was floored in the circa early C17, converting the house to a lobby entrance arrangement. Evidence of a former stair in the hall, rising against the front wall. The fire of 1937 destroyed the roof construction above tie-beam level and burnt out the floors. When the house was repaired a rear left (south east) wing was added in a sympathetic style.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Roof half-hipped at left end; hipped at right end where it is carried down as a catslide to a west end outshut. Axial stack with staggered shafts and a corbelled brick cornice. Asymmetrical 3-window front. The ground floor is painted white. The framing above the middle rail is widely-spaced and includes tension braces. Windows 1930s iron casements with square leaded panes. 1930s door to the left with a one-light window alongside at the far left. 3-light casement in the centre, lighting the hall with a second 1930s door alongside to the right. 2-light timber casement to the outshut. 3 first floor casements, the 2 lighting the chamber over the hall paired. The 1930s wing has a half-hipped roof, small-pane timber casements and is gabled to the east with a stack on the east side.

Interior: The ground floor of the main block preserves exposed ceiling beams, the hall fireplace with a chamfered lintel and brick jambs. The wall framing has jowled wall posts. The arch-braced hall tie-beam survives, the crown post and rafters destroyed in the 1937 fire. The west end of the chamber over the hall includes a former window frame with shutter grooves for sliding shutters. The first floor left hand room has evidence of former mullioned windows with diagonally-set mullions, one to the front and one to the rear wall. The 1930s carpentry is in a sturdy Arts and Crafts tradition and includes a stair with a facetted finial and well-made plank doors.

Listing NGR: TQ6784344787

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437662

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing