Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254237

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990



Ordnance survey map of MASCALLS POUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 13:21:29.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Paddock Wood

National Grid Reference: TQ 66898 43835


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/335 Mascalls Pound


House. Circa mid/late C17. Framed construction, the front elevation underbuilt in Flemish bond brick on the ground floor, the first floor tile- hung; peg-tile roofs; brick stacks.

Plan: The house faces approximately east, slightly set back from the road. The main block is a 2-room lobby entrance plan with back-to-back fireplaces in an axial stack. Rear right (north west) wing at right angles is circa late C17 and originally unheated, the ground floor used as a dairy in living memory. The rear left outshut has a stack with a lintel dated 1684. The outshut may be contemporary with the main block but could be later.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front elevation, the roof half-hipped at ends. Course of brick corbelling at first floor level. Central C18 front door with fielded panels and a gabled porch hood on shaped brackets. 3-light late C17/early C18 iron framed casements with square leaded panes and good window furniture, similar 2-light window over the front door. The rear right wing has a roof half-hipped at the rear (west) end with a moulded fascia under the eaves of the hip. C20 stack added on the right (north) side of the wing; C20 French window in west end and a C20 bay window. Rear centre wing, probably a C19 raising of the outshut. C20 rear windows including a large hipped roof dormer to the outshut.

Interior: The left hand room in the main range has exposed cross and axial beams and joists. Open fireplace with brick jambs, an oak lintel and a particularly interesting iron contraption, fixed to the fireback, for suspending a cooking pot over the fire. The arrangement involves a pivot, so that the mechanism can be turned back flush with the fireback, and a ratchet for adjusting the height of suspension. The right hand room has a single exposed axial beam. The outshut fireplace has an oak lintel dated 1684 and formerly had a bread oven. C17 door of overlapping planks leads down to the cellar, which has a floor laid with large bricks. The ground floor of the rear wing has a crossbeam with short curved braces from the wallposts. Exposed ceiling carpentry to the first floor rooms. The rear wall framing survives to sole plate level, the wallposts with formed jowls.

Roof: Apex not accessible at time of survey (1989). The roof is clasped purlin design, both over the main range and rear wing.

Listing NGR: TQ6689043757


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437672

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing