THE MANOR HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254302

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:16:29.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Pembury

National Grid Reference: TQ 62493 40792, TQ 62497 40785

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEMBURY

1356/13/356 THE GREEN 24-AUG-1990 PEMBURY The Manor House including front garden walls

GV II

Large house. The central core of the front range is late C18 in origin, with a right hand extension added soon afterwards, re-modelled in the mid C19. A north eastern ballroom range was added circa 1880 and a left side extension added or rebuilt circa 1970. Flemish bond red brick with some burnt headers on the end walls, painted stone or stucco bands, window arches and porch; brick stacks with tall chimneyshafts and some C19 chimneypots; slate roof.

PLAN: Large house facing onto The Green to the south east. House of 3 parallel ranges, one behind the other. Tall front and back ranges with lower one between. 2-rooms wide with end stacks, the front and middle ones either side of central entrance hall. Main stair rises right of centre. Full width ballroom to rear with right end stack. Lower service wings each side recessed from the front, the left one added (or rebuilt) circa 1970.

EXTERIOR: The main house is of 3 storeys, the flanking service wings are of 2 storeys. The main block has a symmetrical 3-window front of C19 sashes with marginal glazing. The upper windows have low segmental stucco arches over. The ground floor windows have recessed surrounds under stucco segmental arches with keystones. The Central doorway contains C19 part-glazed 4-panel door behind a large flat-roofed porch on top of concrete aggregate steps. Outer round-headed arch between paired plain square columns. Round-head windows in the same style each side. Plain banded entablature. Plain plat bands at first and second floor levels. Deep boarded eaves and low pitch roof is hipped both ends. Right service wing in same style with one-window front and hipped roof. The sides and rear elevations retain sash window with narrow glazing bars of nine and twelve panes. Attached to the north west is a circa 1880 ballroom extension also in red brick in Flemish bond with a canted bay with French windows to the ground floor and a wooden verandah. The narrow strip of land across the front is protected by an original Flemish bond red brick wall with weathered coping, square section terminal piers with stone pyramid caps and similar gatepiers.

INTERIOR: Contains a great deal of original joinery, plaster and other detail. Most is very high quality. A large main staircase connects the ground and first floor between the front range and later ballroom range and is a well staircase with open string with slender turned balusters and moulded handrail of circa 1880. There is a late C18 dogleg staircase from the first floor to the second floor which probably originally extended down to the ground floor before the other staircase was built. The former ballroom to the ground floor rear has a doorway from the entrance hall with a carved panel over the doorcase. It has a good cast iron chimneypiece with swags, paterae and wheat ear drops and a richly decorated moulded plaster cornice including a broad cove enriched with a reticulated pattern with floral motifs. Another ground floor room has a cornice with square paterae and a mid C19 marble fireplace with brackets and a late C19 tiled firegrate. Some late C18 six-panelled doors remain togther with circa 1880 nine-panelled doors. The bathroom retains a C19 mahogany thunderbox. A number of bedrooms retain mid C19 marble fireplaces with cast iron firegrates and built-in cupboards. The bedroom over the former ballroom has a cornice of swags and a fireplace with pilasters and tiled surround. Other bedrooms have later C19 cast iron fireplaces. STATEMENT OF IMPORTANCE: A large detached house dating from the late C18 remodelled in the mid C19 with a circa 1880 north west ballroom extension retaining good quality internal fittings. This is the largest of a group of 3 attractive detached houses along the north west side of The Green.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437747

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing