CHURCH TOWER TO THE NORTH OF TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1254328

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH TOWER TO THE NORTH OF TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH TOWER TO THE NORTH OF TEMPLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:30:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH TOWER TO THE NORTH OF TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Temple Bruer with Temple High Grange

National Grid Reference: TF 00851 53709

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEMPLE BRUER with TEMPLE BRUER TF 05 SW TEMPLE HIGH GRANGE 3/59 Church Tower to the north of Temple Farmhouse 1.2.67 GV I Church tower. Early C13, restored early C20. Limestone ashlar, with a plain tile hipped roof with deeply overhanging eaves. Moulded chamfered plinth. 4-stage square tower, once attached to other buildings, on the north and west. North front has a central doorway with 7 steps leading up to it, this double chamfered, round-arched door surround has moulded imposts, and the outer arch is supported on chamfered corbels, the whole surmounted by a hood. To the left a rectangular chamfered opening, with 2 chamfered, pointed blind arches above with hoods, linked above by a chamfered band. At the right corner a tall triple shafted respond with moulded bases and capitals, with above the remnants of 3 chamfered ribs. Above the doorway, a chamfered corbel with moulded capital and the remnants of 3 cham- fered ribs. Above a chamfered band. Above at the left a corner projecting strip buttress supported on a moulded bracket. Above again a chamfered eaves band. East front has strip buttresses and bands, the first stage is blank, the second and third stages have single double chamfered lancets with hoods. The fourth stage has a single double chamfered opening. South front has strip buttresses and bands, with a very tall window which spans the first and second stages, this 2-light, pointed moulded chamfered window is now partly blocked with rubble, and the remnants of tracery in the arch. Above a single double chamfered lancet and a hood. Above again a single light double chamfered opening. Above again, at the eaves, an unusually moulded band. West front has a single strip buttress at the right, the first stage is blank, the second and third stages have single, double chamfered lancets with hoods, and above a band. The fourth stage has a single light double chamfered opening. To the left is an upper projecting strip buttress supported on a moulded bracket. Above the south-west corner is a small remnant of the original battlements. The west front also bears the scars of 2 former roof lines. This tower is all that now remains of the Knights Templars Preceptory, founded late in the reign of Henry II by William of Ashby, it passed in 1312, after the suppression of this order, to the Order of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. It was finally dissolved in 1538. The present tower was one of a pair which once stood to the east of the original circular church, joined by a presby- tery and later chapel. The foundations of these long demolished structures were uncovered by W H St John Hope, when the site was excavated in 1908. Parts of these structures are visible in Samuel Buck's engraving of the ruins in 1726. Sources: "The Round Church of the Knights Templars at Temple Bruer, Lincolnshire" by W H St John Hope: ARCHAEOLOGIA vol.61, 1908, pp.177-198. This building is also scheduled as an Ancient Monument, Lincs County No 43.

Listing NGR: TF0085153709

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437791

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia, , Vol. 61, (1908), 177-198

End of official listing