HOARDS PARK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254340
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1995
Statutory Address:
HOARDS PARK FARMHOUSE, B 4373

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOARDS PARK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 00:15:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOARDS PARK FARMHOUSE, B 4373

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Astley Abbotts
National Grid Reference:
SO 71515 94652

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

SO 79 SW ASTLEY ABBOTS B4373

22/10026 Hoards Park Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Circa early to mid C16; remodelled circa mid to late C17; extended and altered in 1875. Timber-framed, largely rebuilt in brick of English bond and English garden wall bond, partly rendered; attic timber-framed with herring-bone pattern panels. Plain clay tile roofs with stone-coped gable ends and moulded shaped and pierced bargeboards. Huge axial, lateral and gable-end stacks with multiple brick shafts, some diagonally set. PLAN: Long building on N-S axis. The original building was timber-framed and at the south end the cross-wing was jettied on three sides, but it is uncertain whether the main range had an open hall or was two-storeyed, the large lateral stack on the east side might be original or a later C16 insertion; the N.W. wing was possibly also timber-framed and has a large gable-end stack. In circa mid to late C17 the timber-frame was clad in brick, the building was lengthened at the north end with a narrow outshut on the east side and a long attic storey was added the full length of the building; the attic is open throughout and without partitions, only interrupted by a large axial stack near the north end; this produced an unusual composition of tiers of integral lean-tos on the east and west sides and an imposing north gable end with a large stone mullion window to each storey. In 1875 the N.W. wing was clad in brick and a further wing was built to the S.E. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:2:1 bay west front with projecting gable-ended wings to left and right; centre two bays have late C19 3 and 4-light wooden mullion windows, with transoms on ground floor; doorway on right of centre with late C19 open porch with lean-to roof Timber-framed attic storey set back on roof with small timber-framed gable on left of centre. At rear [east] two tiers of integral brick lean-tos stepped back to timber-framed attic storey above, the ground and first floors have 2 and 3-light stone mullion windows and at the centre there is a very large projecting lateral brick stack with four rebuilt brick shafts; to the left of stack a late C19 wooden lattice porch and on extreme right the late C19 wing with shield in gable inscribed "Restored 1875" and with the initials of Foster; left [south] return, 3 bays, centre gabled. The north gable end is unaltered and has ends of lean-tos to left and right, the right in one tier, the left in two tiers, with stone coping and kneelers; 3-light stone mullion window on each floor with hoodmoulds, first floor with transom and small blocked single-light window on the right. INTERIOR. Entrance hall has encaustic tile floor of circa 1875, probably Maws tiles. Staircase of circa 1875. Room in south cross-wing with roll-and-hollow moulded ceiling beams and dragon-beam and dado, probably of C17 reused panelling and painted Gothic chimneypiece. Another room also has Gothic stone chimneypiece. Kitchen, probably site of hall, has very large blocked fireplace with elliptical arch and round-arched opening to left, now a cupboard but probably originally a smoking chamber. Washroom, in N.W. wing, has heavy ceiling beams and large open fireplace

Listing NGR: SO7151594652

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437809
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12520/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].