ST COLUMBANS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1254352
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Dec-1972
Statutory Address:
ST COLUMBANS, WATERSTEAD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST COLUMBANS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254352.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 15:37:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST COLUMBANS, WATERSTEAD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitby
National Grid Reference:
NZ 89543 10272

Details

1. 1811 WATERSTEAD LANE (South Side) St. Columban's (formerly listed as Airy Hill) NZ 8910 8/11 23.2.54.

II*

2. Built in 1790. 2 storeys, ashlar. 5 sash windows. First floor divided into bays by Ionic pilasters, the central bay having radiating rustication round an Ionic columned Venetian window - the architraves having pulvinated friezes and dentilled cornices. Round-headed recess. Other windows on first floor with caved architraves and cills with cornices. Ground floor has windows with square block rusticated architraves with triple keyblocks-Doric columns between outer windows with full entablature with triglyphs from these columns to porch. Patterned band at same level from columns to ends of elevation. Angle quoins. Central projecting C19 porch flanked by pair of Doric columns with similar full entablature. Recessed door with curved stone reveals, and openwork parapet. House crowned by dentilled parapet with pediment to centre containing oval window with ornamental glazing, architrave surround. Balustrade to outer part with ramped ends containing vases in niches. 1-storey projecting end pavilions with quoins, cornices and pyramidal roofs with ball finials. Venetian windows. Curved walls joining to house. Garden front. Stone, 2 storeys. 1-3-1 sash windows, each with architrave and central window with flanking consoles. Pedimented Corinthian 4-columned portico up flight of 9 steps. Ground floor windows have square block rustications. Enriched band between storeys; balustraded and pedimented parapet with curved ramps containing urns. Interior of house has original staircase, doors and other features, enriched composition drawing room fireplace in Adam taste with grey marble steps and poliched steel grate; other original fireplaces. Right hand pavilion room (facing front) was used as a magiristrate's court and contains 2 contemporary polished mahogany fitted glazed bookcases. Another, once here is now in the library and fourth from elsewhere is now in the added large drawing room. The house was built in 1790 by Richard Moorson, a local shipowner, landowner and J.P. The sundial, formerly facing the garden front is now in the museum, interesting inscription concerning the exploits of Captain Robert Moorson (afterwards Admiral Sir Robert Moorson K.C.B. ) at Trafalgar. House mentioned in Young 'Whitby' 1817.

Listing NGR: NZ8954310272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437828
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Young, G, History of Whitby, (1817)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03863/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].