ROYAL STAR AND GARTER HOME

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254353
Date first listed:
30-May-1990
Statutory Address:
ROYAL STAR AND GARTER HOME, RICHMOND HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL STAR AND GARTER HOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254353.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 03:39:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL STAR AND GARTER HOME, RICHMOND HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18424 73759

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 1873 and TQ 1973 RICHMOND HILL (south west side)

25/70 Royal Star and Garter Home

II GV

Home and hospital for disabled servicemen, 1919-24 by Sir Edwin Cooper based on plan of 1915 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Red brick with stone dressings on steel frame with hipped pantile roofs, heavy modillion eaves cornice and symmetrically-spaced stacks. Figure of eight plan on steeply sloping site so that building is 4 storeys and attic to front elevation, and to rear 6 storeys with attic including one storey beneath projecting walled garden flanked by single storey wings. Main elevations each have an additional storey hidden in roof. Front elevation of 7 bays with central door having 5-bay return and 7-bay side-wings set back and each ending in single-bay pavilions, the wings and pavilions all behind projecting single-storey nine-bay screens. Centre and pavilions have paired Corinthian columns in antis forming aedicules to recessed fenestration - a typical Cooper motif. Garden front of 21 bays between single- bay pavilions in same style, the central paired columns rising above wreathed portrait medallion surmounted by crown. Doors lead onto terrace above project- ing ground-floor loggia of Roman Doric columns now glazed, that continues along right-angled wings for 10 bays, the last with'recessed moulded entrance and paired columns in antis. Heavy cornice to loggia which has central door to paved garden with central bulb-shaped fountain surmounted by cherubs. 7-bay side elevations, central bay with aediculed surround and balcony. All windows small-pane glazing bar sashes, those to first floor on entrance front (third floor on garden front) set in stone surrounds; pedimented dormers to all eleva- tions. Interior: modern doors lead to entrance hall with Ionic columns, coffered ceilings, marble walls and floors. To left apsed memorial alcove with stained glass by J Dudley Forsyth; to right staircase set in similar apse. Offices to front, ward for the especially handicapped to rear, leading onto terrace. 6 lifts, and stairs, lead to lower ground floor containing dining room to right and recreation hall to left, with square columns forming aisle and coffered ceiling. Hospital facilities to front. Mortuary chapel, in basement under walled garden reached via separate pylon doorway to side with winged figure wreathed in poppies on lintel, has tripartite interior separated by Doric columns set between pilasters, marble walls and floors, coffered ceilings, stained glass, star-shaped light fittings, dedicated to son of Viscountess Cowdray, whose bust it contains. Upper floors contain bed-sitting rooms and staff accommodation. A revolutionary concept in provision for the disabled, allowing ex-servicemen to lead independent lives in a building carefully planned for their convenience that is also of high architectural quality with lavish original fittings.

Listing NGR: TQ1842473759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437830
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04310/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Burfoot. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].