NORTHCOTE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254369

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: NORTHCOTE FARMHOUSE, NORTHCOTE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHCOTE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:35:26.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHCOTE FARMHOUSE, NORTHCOTE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Cruwys Morchard

National Grid Reference: SS 86802 13378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 81 SE CRUWYS MORCHARD NORTHCOTE LANE 2/88 Northcote Farmhouse - II Farmhouse. Circa early C16 origins, remodelled in the C17, extended and further remodelled probably in the C18 or C19, 1980s rear addition. Colourwashed rendered cob and stone rubble ; asbestos slate roof, gabled at ends; end stacks, axial (formerly lateral) stack with stone shaft. Plan and Development: The present plan consists of a south facing single depth main range, 3 rooms wide with an entrance to left of centre. A rear centre wing at right angles to the main range is in use as a store ; C20 single-storey addition in right angle between rear wing and rear right of main range. Complex evolution. The building has a late medieval core but the medieval house was aligned north/south at right angles to the present main range; one end of the late medieval house has subsequently been roofed over on the east/west alignment of the present main range. Thus the earliest structure on plan is the centre room of the main range and the rear wing. This was an open hall house, the 3 southern-most bays open to the roof timbers, the northern end (rear wing of main range) possibly always storeyed (roof timbers replaced). The details of the medieval arrangment and its subsequent remodelling in the C17 are not entirely clear. Carpentry details suggest that the south end was floored in the C17 when a lateral stack was added : this stack is now axial to the new main range. The most obvious interpretation of the medieval plan is hall to the south, storeyed inner end to the north with the lower end and passage dismantled from the south end; however, there is evidence of a former hipped end to the southern of the 2 medieval rooms suggesting that the present front wall of the main range marks the end wall of the medieval house. The dating of the east and west ends of the present main range is more problematical (east end not inspected) but the east end is said to have a boxed-in cross beam and may be C18 or C19. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front with regular fenestration ; gabled porch to left of centre into passage or stair hall. 2 and 3-light C20 timber casement windows, 2 panes per light. Interior : The centre room of the main range, (south end room of the medieval range) has a deeply chamfered step-stopped axial beam mortised into a chamfered cross beam with reeded stops, similar chamfered half-beam against south end (formerly external) wall. The cross beam chamfers are stopped off on either side of the junction with the axial beam suggesting that it may replace an earlier beam of larger scantling. C20 grate, probably concealing an earlier fireplace. The rear wing (now in use for storage) has deeply chamfered step-stopped cross beams. Roof : of the medieval roof 2 smoke-blackened jointed cruck trusses survive and a closed truss (sooted on the south side). The collars are mortised into the principals and a diagonally-set ridge survives in part. According to Margaret C.S. Cruwys Northcote is first documented in the C14, in 1332 when Rogo de Notheracote appears as one of the principal inhabitants of the parish. Cruwys, Margaret C.S., A Cruwys Morchard Notebook, 1066-1874 (1939).

Listing NGR: SS8680213378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437859

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cruwys, M C S , A Cruwys Morchard Notebook 1066-1874, (1939)

End of official listing