Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254395.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 12:27:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 63985 40921



5/375 Romford House


Former farmhouse. Probably mid C17, enlarged and modernised circa 1920-1930. The older section is timber-framed but the ground floor level is underbuilt with later Flemish bond red brick with some burnt headers. Later section built in the same style but the older section still shows it original sandstone footings. Brick stacks and chimneyshafts. Peg-tile roof.

Plan: L-plan house. The main block faces north. It has a 4-room plan. Kitchen at the left (east) end and large entrance hall containing the stair next to it. Axial stack between serves back-to-back fireplaces. The room right of centre is a parlour with an axial stack backing onto the entrance. The small unheated room at the right (west) end has been united with the parlour by removing the partition. Dining room to rear of the kitchen. The kitchen and dining room along with the front porch were added circa 1920-30 as part of the modernisation of a C17 3-room lobby entrance plan house. Originally only the centre room was heated and was flanked by smaller unheated service rooms.

2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.

Exterior: Irregular front with 7 ground floor windows and 3 first floor windows, all C20 casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass. The centre 3-window section breaks forward as the entrance porch and built like a lean-to outshot with the first floor window a large dormer with hipped roof lighting the stair landing. Porch contains a C20 plank door and there is another to the kitchen further left. Main roof is half-hipped both ends. On the rear wall the timber jambs show of the original lobby entrance doorway (now blocked). It is the only original framing exposed on the outside.

Interior: The framed structure of the C17 house survives, particularly above first floor level, where studs and large curving tension braces are exposed. On the ground floor the main room has a much-mended brick fireplace with a plain oak lintel. The room has a chamfered axial beam with elongated scroll stops (similar over the first floor). Although the partitions have been removed from the west service end sockets in the underside of the main beams show the original arrangement. There were 2 doorways from the main room, one to the original stair. The service end itself was divided into buttery and dairy with a connecting doorway between them. Plain joists in the left service room. The rail across the original end wall is not at first floor level and its underside is chamfered. Its purpose is not known. Roof of 4 uneven bays; jowled wall posts and tie-beam trusses with clasped side purlins and queen struts.

Listing NGR: TQ6421140737


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].