ARUNDELLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1254399
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
ARUNDELLS, 59, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARUNDELLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 14:01:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARUNDELLS, 59, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14116 29644

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 No 59 (Arundells) SU 1429 NW 3/12 28.2.52. II* GV 2. Originally a canonical house largely rebuilt in late Cl7 by Sir Richard Mompesson. Rain water head dated 1699, Set well back from the West Walk. East front: 2 storeys and attic. Ashlar stone with first floor string and plinth. Hipped old tile roof with moulded and bracketed wood cornice. 2 hipped dormers with small sashes. Symmetrical fenestration. 5 windows first floor, 4 on ground floor, sashes, glazing bars restored in moulded frames. Central door of 6 fielded panels with stone architrave surround and moulded stone pediment on console brackets. Similar 4 bay south front. The west front shows part of earlier structure with gabled section with flintwork and hipped roof to wing. Cl4 cusped headed 2 light window on first floor. Interior has full height C18 panelling to drawing room. Early C18 stair with closed string, turned balusters, square section panelled capped newels. Service stair with reset C17 panelling as dado. The rear hipped roof wing has 2 trusses and wall posts.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1411629644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319045
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14698/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].