COLLEGE OF SARUM ST MICHAEL THE OLD DEANERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254416

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Statutory Address: COLLEGE OF SARUM ST MICHAEL, THE CLOSE

Statutory Address: THE OLD DEANERY, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLLEGE OF SARUM ST MICHAEL
THE OLD DEANERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:47:26.

Location

Statutory Address: COLLEGE OF SARUM ST MICHAEL, THE CLOSE

Statutory Address: THE OLD DEANERY, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14098 29557

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 The Old Deanery (College of Sarum St Michael) SU 1429 NW 3/10 II* GV 2. Formerly No 62. Concealed from road by modern college block. In 1277 Bisho= Roger de Wykehampton made over the Hall he had occupied as Dean to be used as the Deanery. The building was much altered and recased mainly in the C18 but in 1963 the hall was restored. East front: in centre restored mediaeval hall flint and stone rubble, 3 gabled pointed traceried windows, gables breaking through eaves and smaller gable over pointed doorway: 3 stone buttresses. To left hand flint and stone rubble 2 storey projection with hipped tiled roof. 2 large early Cl9 sashes lst floor and modern glazed door on ground floor. On north side of projection, cusped headed stone framed 1 aid 2 light windows. To right hand irregular extensions of flint and rubble with projecting Gable and half hipped gable. Sash windows and restored pointed window. South front has 2 external stone chimneys with offsets. Flint and stone walling with some tile herringbone corner buttresses. 3 light cusped headed windows. West front: Hall to centre with 3 gabled windows, restored as on east front. To right hand tall 2 storey projection with some reused old stone work and flint rubble. Very large segment headed early C19 style lst floor window and canted bay window supported by 2 Tuscan columns. French windows below. The north side of projection has 2 original windows and pointed door. To left hand 2 window hipped roof section and 1 storey and attic flint rubble extension to north. North front has gable ends of 2 northern ranges with recessed centre, trace of timber framing in-gables. Interior: the hall consisted of a solar at south end and butteries at north end. Trussed rafter roof C13 with the only C13 louvre framing in the country.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1409929564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319051

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing