10 AND 11, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254474
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
10 AND 11, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10 AND 11, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254474.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 07:43:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
10 AND 11, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ4921412461

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW 653-1/15/344 19/09/72

HIGH STREET (North East side) Nos.10 AND 11

II

Pair of shops. Late C18, with probable earlier core. Remodelled for John Ashby by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard. Brick with plain tiled roof. 3 storeys, 4-window range, the windows grouped in pairs each side of blocked central window space. First and second floor windows do not align in No.10. Inserted shop fronts flanking central doorway. Shop fronts are late C19: fascias have been renewed but enriched architraves survive, and moulded shafts each side of central doorway to No.10. Recessed double doors, with ornate moulded woodwork forming shallow pediment and frieze. Upper windows are 2-pane sashes to first floor, with flat-arched gauged brick heads. Second-floor windows are 12-pane sashes in No.11, casements in No.10, all with flat-arched heads. Stone string course between the storeys. High parapet eaves concealing steeply pitched roof with suggests that this is the refronting of an earlier structure. Lead rainwater goods to left, with enriched head. (Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SJ4921412461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457318
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09989/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].