CRIPPS HALL OF RESIDENCE, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254542

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: CRIPPS HALL OF RESIDENCE, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM, LENTON HALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRIPPS HALL OF RESIDENCE, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:32:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CRIPPS HALL OF RESIDENCE, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM, LENTON HALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 54171 38638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NW LENTON HALL DRIVE 646-1/6/309 (South East side) 29/03/88 Cripps Hall of Residence, University of Nottingham (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON BOULEVARD Cripps Hall of Residence, University of Nottingham)

II

Hall of residence. 1957-59. By Farquaharson, McMorran & Whitby. Endowed by Cyril Thomas Cripps. Buff brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped green slate roofs with parapets. Renaissance Revival style. EXTERIOR: 3 storey residential blocks with single storey Great Hall range. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes with brick flat arches. 2 quadrangles, joined at their corners, surrounded by linked blocks. High Court, to north, has 3 sides, with the main entrance block on the north side and warden's house adjoining. To east, the Great Hall and kitchens. Residential block to west. Entrance range 2 storeys, has a central opening with 2 giant Ionic columns under continuous roof, flanked by residential blocks, 4 windows, with massive slab stacks. Warden's house, 2 storeys, 3 x 3 windows, has a pyramidal roof with a central slab stack. Great Hall has to right 2 segment-arched entrances with glazed panels above, set in tall segment-arched openings. Between them a square clock tower, set flush, with a glazing bar window. Above, a clock dial to west. Segment-arched belfry with slab roof and weather vane. To left, 6 large glazing bar windows in recessed stone architraves. At the rear, a single storey corridor and a 3-storey block, 7 windows. Residential block has regular fenestration. Southern court has residential blocks on each side, with regular fenestration, segment-arched passages, and doorways with rusticated surrounds. INTERIOR: Great hall has a panelled entrance lobby and segment-arched double doors to a half-panelled dining room with beamed ceiling. First floor corridor with brick segmental arches. Double doors flanked by 3 windows, all segment-arched, to plaster vaulted hall. (The Builder : 15/1: 1960-: 97-111; Chablo D: University Architecture in Britain, 1950-1975).

Listing NGR: SK5417138638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457425

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1960), 97-111

End of official listing