This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOROTHY BOOT HOMES AND GARDEN TERRACE WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOROTHY BOOT HOMES AND GARDEN TERRACE WALL

List entry Number: 1254566

Location

DOROTHY BOOT HOMES AND GARDEN TERRACE WALL, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457489

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE MAIN ROAD, Wilford 646-1/7/817 (East side) Dorothy Boot Homes and garden terrace wall

GV II

Eleven almshouses. 1908. Paid for by Jesse Boot of Nottingham. Brick, roughcast, with brick dressings and sham timber framing. Gabled and hipped plain tile roofs, with 8 ridge and 6 side wall stacks. Vernacular Revival style. Brick plinth, wrought-iron gutter brackets and bracket lamps. Windows are casements, with wooden mullions and transoms. Doors have round arches. Almshouses, single storey plus attics; 7 bays. Half-butterfly plan, with balanced irregular facades. Central block has a huge jettied gable, close studded, covering a verandah with 2 canted bay windows flanked by doorways. In the gable, 2 windows. On each side, 2 cross casements, and above, a large gabled dormer with 2 windows. Right range has to left a hipped porch covering a bay window and door, then a cross casement. Above, a large gabled dormer with 2 windows. To right, a hipped verandah covering a window. Left range has a central doorway flanked to right by a hipped porch with door and bay window, and to left by a cross casement. Above, a box dormer to left, and a gabled dormer to right. To left again, a square bay window, 2 storeys, 3-lights, with a flat roof. To left again, a projecting range, 2 bays, with to left a projecting wing with jettied timber-framed gable. Left return has a smaller projecting gable on posts. At the front, a terrace wall to a sunken garden, coursed squared stone, with pedestals and ball finials, some missing. These almshouses were intended for the use of Crimean War and Indian Mutiny veterans. (Wilford then and now: Mellors R: Nottingham: 1914-: 264).

Listing NGR: SK5672637572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mellors, R, Wilford Then and Now, (1914), 264

National Grid Reference: SK 56726 37572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:53:40.

End of official listing