CHURCH OF ST AGNES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254653

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AGNES, SLADE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AGNES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 04:34:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AGNES, SLADE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 86959 94860

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SE SLADE LANE, Longsight 698-1/9/736 (West side) Church of St Agnes

II

Also known as: Church of St Agnes HAMILTON ROAD Longsight. Church. 1884-5, by Medland and Henry Taylor, with north aisle added 1895; slightly altered. Speckled brick in English bond, with red brick dressings and steeply-pitched red tiled roof. Arts and Crafts style. Nave with south porch and canted-bay west window, north aisle with apsidal west end and 2-storey transept at east end, south chapel in the form of coupled transepts to the nave and chancel, chancel with triangular apse; and a roof bellcote. The nave, 4 bays with buttresses and low eaves, has a gabled porch to the 1st bay with 2-centred arched doorway chamfered in 3 orders, steeply-pitched roof carried down to low eaves; windows of 2, 3 and 3 lancet lights, and a gabled dormer in the roof, and playfully-designed bellcote on the ridge with a lateral pitched roof surmounted by a fleche; and the coupled gables of the chapel have 2-light lancets. The west end is emphatically asymmetrical, having a tall canted bay to the nave with tall cusped lancets and hipped roof, one small lancet to the left and 3 to the right, and to the left, projecting from the west end of the aisle, a semicircular apse which has lancet windows and a 2-centred arched doorway with hoodmould above carried round. The north side of the aisle has three 3-light windows of stepped lancet lights under tall gables, beyond these a large red-brick gabled dormer half-way up the slope, with a window of 3 cusped lights, and at the east end 2-storeyed transept. The triangular apse to the chancel has a foundation stone dated July 1884, and in each of its 2 sides two 2-light windows with cusped lights. Interior: very fine deeply arch-braced kingpost roof with wind-braced purlins, common rafters with collars, and diagonal roof boarding; 3-bay aisle arcade with short cylindrical piers and stepped 2-centred arches of brick (openings now filled with C20 glazed screens), and aisle (now church hall) with exposed wooden gable roofs; 2-centred chancel arch with polychrome voussoirs, on short quatrefoil piers; chancel with 2-bay south arcade of 2-centred brick arches (the centre open and Y-shaped); baptistry in canted apse at west end of nave.

Listing NGR: SJ8695994860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457630

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing