LONDON ROAD RAILWAY STATION AND ADJOINING GOODS SHEDS AND CANOPIES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254699

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: LONDON ROAD RAILWAY STATION AND ADJOINING GOODS SHEDS AND CANOPIES, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONDON ROAD RAILWAY STATION AND ADJOINING GOODS SHEDS AND CANOPIES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:34:03.

Location

Statutory Address: LONDON ROAD RAILWAY STATION AND ADJOINING GOODS SHEDS AND CANOPIES, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 57954 39293

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739SE LONDON ROAD 646-1/24/329 (East side) 12/07/72 London Road Railway Station and adjoining goods sheds and canopies (Formerly Listed as: LONDON ROAD London Road Railway Station (low level))

GV II

Also known as: Low Level Station GREAT NORTHERN CLOSE. Railway station, now disused. 1857. By TC Hine of Nottingham for the Great Northern Railway Co. Goods sheds and additions c1900. Restored c1987 and 1993. Red brick, with ashlar and yellow brick dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs with tile cresting. 9 original coped brick ridge stacks, 2 similar side wall stacks. Anglo-Italian style. EXTERIOR: the main range and entrance face north, with a secondary range to the right, facing west. The ranges are linked by a single storey rounded corner. At the south end, a late C19 addition. On the south side, extensive goods sheds, and platform canopies with valanced roofs. Main range, 2 storeys plus attics; 7 bays. Plinth, quoins, first floor cornice, diaper work parapet. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes, with round-arched dummy windows to the ground floor. Central round-arched porte-cochere with panelled pilasters, cast-iron columns, and balustrade. Behind this, a single storey range, 3 bays, with similar pilasters and balustrade. Blank round arches containing dummy windows to front and each end. Main block has a projecting central bay with rounded corners and a Venetian window flanked by side windows. Above, a shaped gable with polychrome pilasters, containing a round-arched window and clock. Behind the gable, a truncated pyramidal roof with cast-iron crest. Side bays have 2 windows. Beyond, projecting bays with 2 ground floor windows and canted upper floors with 3 windows and balustrades. End bays have a single window on each floor. Single storey range to left, 3 windows. Rounded corner, to right, has a central external stack, flanked on each side by 2 windows and a door. West front, single storey plus attics; 9 window range. First floor cornice and single coped gable. Off-centre entrance bay with pediment containing a Venetian window. Irregular fenestration to ground floor. Attics have 8 round-arched through-eaves dormers. At the south end, late C19 addition, 2 storeys; 4 window range. Cart entrance with steel lintel. Adjoining the west side, an open shed, 3 bays, with cast-iron columns and valanced wooden roof. On the south and east sides, goods sheds, 3 bays wide, with valanced platform canopies. Steel and cast-iron structure with wooden cladding and slate roofs with clerestory and glazed ventilators. The station was disused from 1900, and was used as a parcels depot from 1944-c1985. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 247; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers Hine ; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 19; Palmer M & Neaverson P: Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands: Chichester: 1992-: 141).

Listing NGR: SK5795439293

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457443

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, M, Neaverson, P, Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands, (1992), 141
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 247
Brand, K, 'Get To Know Nottingham' in Thomas Chambers Hine An Architect of Victorian Nottingham, (), 19

End of official listing