- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, GLEADLESS ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254897 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 14:46:16.
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, GLEADLESS ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 35517 85003
SK38SE GLEADLESS ROAD 784-1/10/352 (North East side) Christ Church
Parish church. 1848, by Joseph Mitchell. Nave extension, north aisle and vestry, 1890, and south aisle 1897, all by JD Webster. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables, crosses and finials. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles, south transept, north tower, south porch. EXTERIOR: 2 bay chancel has to east 2 diagonal buttresses and 5-light pointed arch window with chamfered surround, on stepped sillband. North side has single buttress and 2 flat-headed single light windows. South side has adjoining gabled vestry with gabled side wall stack and gabled angle buttress. To east, shouldered plank door and to its right, a 2-light pointed arch window. To south, a similar window. South transept has diagonal buttresses and a 2-light pointed arch window to east and west. To south, a 3-light pointed arch window with a trefoil opening above it and a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould below. Gabled south aisle, 5 bays, has buttresses and 2 datestones, 1897. South side has three 2-light pointed arch windows to east of the porch and a similar window to west and at the west end. South porch has diagonal buttresses and coped gable with cross. Moulded doorway with double shafts. Interior has vault with filleted flying ribs, moulded doorway with single shafts, C20 doors and traceried overlight with hoodmould. Stone benches. North tower, 3 stages, has string courses and crenellated parapet with flat topped diagonal pinnacles. Clasping buttresses to ground stage and second stage, diagonal buttress to first stage. Octagonal stair turret with loops, to north east. North side has a 3-light pointed arch window between stages, with hoodmould. East side has a similar window. Second stage has a 2-light pointed arch bell opening on each side, with a clock dial to south and west, 1901. Lean-to north aisle, 5 bays, has buttresses and five 2-light pointed arch windows, plus a similar window at the west end. Nave west end has a 4-light pointed arch window with flamboyant tracery and hoodmould with stops. Trefoil above. INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with triple shaft responds. Arch braced roof with traceried spandrels and mask corbels. East end has a Decorated style blind arcade and a stained glass window, 1913. South side has a double gabled wooden sedilia, Decorated style, and to west a moulded arch with hoodmould, containing traceried wooden screen and doors. North side has 2 windows. Crossing has single bay wooden vault with moulded ribs and corbels, and double chamfered arches to north and south, with triple shaft responds. Low screen wall to sanctuary, with roll-top alabaster coping. South transept has steep pitched arch braced roof with king posts and mask corbels. East side has pointed arched recess with door to vestry, and stained glass window, 1865 and 1882. South gable has plain window with blocked doorway below. West side has a plain window and single chamfered arch to aisle. Nave has 5 bay arcades with round columns and double chamfered arches, and arch braced principal rafter roof with king posts. At the west end, 2 bays enclosed by late C20 glazed wooden screens to form gallery and mezzanine floor above, and meeting rooms below. Plain west window. South aisle has arch braced roof with shafts and corbels, and C20 door at west end. North transept, under tower, has cross beam ceiling, and plain windows on each side. To west, chamfered arch to north aisle. North aisle has strutted lean-to roof with corbels. FITTINGS include C19 traceried octagonal font, Decorated style, with clustered shafts and octagonal crocketed spire canopy. Steps with text inlaid in encaustic tile. Traceried wooden altar rail and octagonal pulpit with clustered ashlar shafts, prayer desks and altar, in similar style. Brass tripod lectern and steps dated 1890. Panelled softwood benches. Memorials include segment-headed bronze war memorial tablet, 1920, marble tablet, 1828, and Gothic marble tablet, 1894. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3551785003
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27901
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing