The Armoury


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Armoury, Victoria Quary, Victoria Avenue, Shrewsbury, SY1 1HH


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254936.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 10:32:28.


Statutory Address:
The Armoury, Victoria Quary, Victoria Avenue, Shrewsbury, SY1 1HH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48821 12697


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/07/2019

SJ 4812 NE 653-1/10/687


(Formerly listed as Former Bakery, VICTORIA AVENUE, previously listed as Bakery)


GV II Former barracks, later rebuilt as a bakery and renovated in 1995 as a public house. Originally built 1806 as barracks by James Wyatt for Shrewsbury Armoury, on a site adjacent to London Road, and moved to this location and rebuilt as bakery 1922. Brick on stone plinth with Welsh slate roof.

Two storeys, ten bays articulated by full-height pilasters, the outer bays advanced. Lower windows have round-arched fine gauged brick heads, flat-arched brick heads above. Lower windows of outer bays have flat-arched heads stepped to suggest voussoirs. Stone sills of upper windows from string course interrupted by pilasters. Overhanging eaves, the plain cornice continuing across gables as a pediment.

Narrow two window infill range links with two storey house or office block to right: two twelve-pane sash windows on each floor, the lower windows now blocked with flat-arched gauged brick heads. Stone plinth and continuous stone sill band to first floor windows. Plain overhanging eaves to hipped roof with end wall stack.

Listing NGR: SJ4882112697


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09269/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Leach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].