Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254957.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 20:10:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 33644 86714



SK3386NE GLOSSOP ROAD 784-1/27/378 (South side) 28/06/73 King Edward VII Upper School (Formerly Listed as: GLOSSOP ROAD King Edward VII Grammar School)


Wesleyan Proprietary grammar school, now upper school. 1837-38, with early and late C20 alterations. By William Flockton for the Wesleyan Methodist community. Ashlar, with hipped and gabled slate roofs with 2 ridge and single side wall stacks. Classical Revival style. EXTERIOR: rusticated basement, string course and sillband, eaves cornice and blocking course. 2 storeys plus basement; 25 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes. Projecting pedimented centre, 7 windows, with 8 giant Corinthian columns and elaborate divided steps flanked by low walls. Under the portico, 12 pane sashes on each floor, with central corniced doorcase, glazed double doors and overlight. On either side, a wing with six 12 pane sashes and above, six 9 pane sashes. Basement has five 12 pane sashes, flanked on the outer side by double doors with overlights. At each end, a square projection with angle pilasters, fronted by a pedimented portico with 4 Corinthian columns and 3 windows. The basement has a central double door flanked by 12 pane sashes. Plain returns, 5 windows. Symmetrical rear has a pedimented central projection flanked by 2 storey wings, 3 windows. Beyond, 2 storey hipped wings with central round-headed windows flanked by tall 12 pane sashes. Beyond again, pedimented wings, 3 windows, with angle pilasters. INTERIOR has central pilastered entrance hall with side passages defined by 8 wooden Corinthian columns and modillion cross beam ceiling. To right, a doorway with enriched cornice on brackets. To left, a cantilever dogleg stone stair with cast-iron balustrade and ramped scrolled handrail. Opposite the entrance, former chapel, now assembly hall, with glazed screens and doorways. Panelled cross beam ceiling and semi-octagonal gallery on round piers. At the front, a semicircular arch with flanking pilasters and keystone, containing organ on gallery. On either side, a fielded 6-panel door. At either end of the corridor, an open well concrete stair with iron balustrade. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by the local Wesleyan community led by Samuel Dousland Waddy, as the Wesleyan Proprietary Grammar School, in competition with the Church of England's Sheffield Collegiate School (qv), opened in 1837. The 2 schools amalgamated in 1884. This building is an exceptionally large and ambitious design for its period. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 461; King Edward VII School-The Pages of History: Cooke D et al: Sheffield: 1989-).

Listing NGR: SK3364486714


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cooke, D, King Edward VII School The Pages of History, (1989)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 461


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03821/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].