This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EDMONTON PUBLIC LIBRARY AND ATTACHED GATES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EDMONTON PUBLIC LIBRARY AND ATTACHED GATES

List entry Number: 1254958

Location

EDMONTON PUBLIC LIBRARY AND ATTACHED GATES, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Enfield

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

EDMONTON FORE STREET TQ 3493 (west side) 790-/14/10007 Edmonton Public Library and attached gates

II

Passmore Edwards library. 1897, by Maurice B. Adams. Extension to rear of 1931 in a sympathetic style by the engineer of Edmonton Borough Council, Cuthbert Brown. Red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and hipped roof of slate. Three storeys and three-window range. Symmetrical elevation dominated by a projecting entrance bay in stone with stacked orders and segmental gable to parapet; bay to each side terminates in a scroll Dutch gable. Diocletian windows to ground floor, flanking entrance, flat arched above and segmental to gable. Unusual angle buttresses to outer corners, that to left with elaborate floral carving. Left return of three windows with Dutch gable to centre, stepping down to single storey wing of 1931 with entrance in stone aedicule. Right return repeats motifs found on the front elevation. An inspection carried out in 1990 noted the survival of two relief portrait plaques in the entrance vestibule by George Frampton ARA, of 1898. These were paid for by a separate endowment from Edwards and depict John Keats and Charles Lamb, both local residents at one time. Few interior features of distinction with the exception of the entrance hall; the rear extension has columns and a coffered ceiling which are also worthjof note. Metal gates of an original design to the entrance porch.

Listing NGR: TQ3422593103

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 34225 93103

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:16:46.

End of official listing