This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1255063

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RALEIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE RALEIGH STREET 646-1/4/515 (North West side) 12/07/72 Church of All Saints (Formerly Listed as: ALL SAINTS STREET Church of All Saints)

GV II

Parish church. 1863-64. By Hine & Evans for William Windley. Rockfaced stone and ashlar in contrasting colours, polychrome ashlar bands and dressings. Plain tile roofs, hipped and gabled. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: apsidal chancel, chapel and vestry, transepts, nave with clerestory and aisles, porches, baptistry, west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables with crosses. Windows have pointed arches with plate tracery and hood moulds. Chancel, single bay, has buttressed east end and renewed parapet. Five east windows, 2-lights, with blind arcades below. Single round window each side, and frieze with 4 quatrefoil windows. Priest's door in angle to south. North chapel has a 3-light east window. Vestry, to south, has a wheel window to east, with a small 2-light window below it. 3-light window to south. North and south transepts each have a wheel window in a pointed arch surround, and a buttress stack to south-east. Clerestory has on each side 4 traceried window heads, and a smaller window head to east. Aisles, 4 bays, have three 3-light windows and porch to west. Traceried window head in west end. Gabled porches have moulded doorways with cast-iron lamp brackets above them, and 2 round windows to east. Baptistry, north of the tower, gabled with a 3-light window. West tower, 3 stages, has buttresses and on the south west corner, a round stair turret with spire. To west, a large 3-light window. Above, on each side, 2 small lancets. Bell stage has enriched 3-light openings. Octagonal broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. INTERIOR has mainly roll-moulded arches and main windows with shafts. Chancel has arch with marble shafts and polychrome gable, and pointed arched wagon roof. North and south sides have arched openings. East end has stained glass window, 1882, and triptych by Hammersley Ball. Piscina to south. North chapel has truss roof and stained glass east window, 1922, by Ms Howson and Ms Townsend. Nave has arcades, 5 bays, with round piers and linked hood moulds, arch braced roof with stone wall shafts on corbels. Double chamfered tower arch and stained glass west window. Aisles have arch braced roofs and single stained glass windows, that to north dated 1927. North aisle has pointed arched west doorway. Transepts have common rafter roofs and double chamfered arch to east. North arch has traceried wooden screen. South arch has war memorial, c1920, in the form of a reredos and altar. Fittings include arcaded round ashlar font with cover by Harry Gill, enriched round ashlar pulpit, cross-framed benches and traceried stalls, all original. Brass eagle lectern. Memorials include brass, 1877, to Willam Windley, the founder, and another brass to his family. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 237; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers Hine ; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 19).

Listing NGR: SK5643840639

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2018.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 237
Brand, K, 'Get To Know Nottingham' in Thomas Chambers Hine An Architect of Victorian Nottingham, (), 19
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 February 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/36438

National Grid Reference: SK 56438 40639

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 03:47:52.

End of official listing