7-12 THE ARMOURY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255094

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1972

Statutory Address: 7-12 THE ARMOURY, WENLOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7-12 THE ARMOURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255094 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:56:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 7-12 THE ARMOURY, WENLOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 50844 11648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

653-1/5/689 WENLOCK ROAD 19-SEP-72 (East side) 7-12 THE ARMOURY (Formerly listed as: WENLOCK ROAD GROUP OF HOUSES AT THE ARMOURY)

II

SHREWSBURY

SJ51SW WENLOCK ROAD 653-1/5/689 (East side) 19/09/72 No.7 The Armoury (Formerly Listed as: WENLOCK ROAD Group of houses at the Armoury)

GV II

Officer's house and workshops, now converted to 4 houses. c1806 with later C19 and C20 additions and alterations. For Shrewsbury Armoury. Brick and painted brick with Welsh slate roof. Entrance front: The former Officer's House, No 7 is at left and has 2 storeys. There is a 3-window range with central entrance. 12-pane sash windows to ground floor,with wide splayed heads. Central upper window blind. End wall stacks in hipped roof. Lower wing to the right originally workshops or stables of 5 symmetrical bays, now in separate occupation as houses and altered with cambered-headed C20 casements to both floors and a single-storey C20 porch to the centre of the ground floor. The armoury was built in 1806, and its architect was James Wyatt. (Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SJ5067411974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458400

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing