This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1255110



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK54SW ST MARTIN'S ROAD 646-1/3/594 (South side (off)) 29/04/64 Church of St Martin (Formerly Listed as: BILBOROUGH Church of St Martin)


Parish church. Late C14, with replica west tower c1450. Restored 1833, and 1887-89 by JE Newbury. Extensive additions to north, 1972. Coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: chancel, nave, south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: moulded plinth, buttresses, coped gables with crosses. Windows are mainly flat-headed, with plain surrounds. Chancel, 2 bays, has an ogee headed east window, 3 lights, early C19, blocked 1972. South side has a pointed arched priest's door, blocked, flanked by 2-light windows. North side incorporated into 1972 additions. Nave, 3 bays, has to south three windows, 2 lights, the west window truncated. North side has identical fenestration, with a blocked arch, and a blocked pointed arched door between the western windows. South porch has coped gable and C19 pointed arched door with C14 crocketed ogee hood mould and niche. Ogee headed 2-light window each side. Square west tower, 2 stages, has angle buttresses to the lower stage, and crenellated parapet with string course. To west, a pointed arched 2-light window with transom and tracery. Above, single loops on each side. Bell stage has a flat-headed 2-light opening on each side. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel, incorporated into 1972 addition, has moulded arch with splayed responds and hood mould, largely blocked, and blank east end. South side has a cusped ogee piscina, C19, and blocked doorway flanked by plain windows. Nave has arch braced roof, C19, and plain windows. Double chamfered tower arch with imposts. South porch has stone benches. Fittings include eggcup font, C17, on reused moulded base, panelled oak pulpit and benches, C19. Memorials include an alabaster wall tablet and crest, remnants of the tomb of Sir Edmund Helwys of Broxtowe, 1590. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 267).

Listing NGR: SK5202041811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 267

National Grid Reference: SK 52020 41811


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 06:09:15.

End of official listing