Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1255164

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: THE LION HOTEL, WYLE COP


Ordnance survey map of THE LION HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 23:51:24.


Statutory Address: THE LION HOTEL, WYLE COP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49314 12340


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4912SW WYLE COP 653-1/15/739 (South side) 10/01/53 The Lion Hotel


Hotel, comprising 3 buildings. Earliest building is late C15, altered early C19, the others late C18. Earliest building render over timber-frame with plain tiled roof, the others brick, roofs not visible behind parapets. EXTERIOR: earliest building in the middle of the row: 3 storeys, 2-window range. Tripartite sashes with traceried glazing in brick lower storey are C20 insertions, echoing the design of the upper windows. First floor has projecting outer bays with traceried tripartite sashes linked by a balcony with paired cusped arches over it. Traceried glazing to horizontally sliding sashes in upper storey. Main block to right built as hotel in later C18, possibly incorporating earlier structure. 4 storeys, 6-window range. Painted brick to ground floor, with central door with Doric columns carrying entablature which supports statue of lion, flanked by 12-pane sash windows. Carriage entry to right. Upper windows also 12-pane sashes with flat-arched gauged brick heads (6 panes to attic). Central windows have moulded stone architraves. Plain parapet eaves. Rear wing with bowed gable end and round-arched windows houses ball room and music room. Parapet has stone panel with mutilated coat of arms, and formerly supported a lion carved by John Nelson of Shrewsbury in 1777. Lower block incorporated into hotel is c1800. 2 storeys, 4-window range. Painted brick to lower storey. Doorway to right in open pediment, and 3 round-arched windows with traceried glazing recessed in round-arched arcade. Upper windows are 12-pane sashes with flat-arched gauged brick heads. Moulded cornice to parapet eaves, gable end stacks. INTERIOR: exposed framing visible in central section. Ball room in rear wing on ground floor has dado panelling and fine plasterwork panels between windows. Music room above has very fine and elaborate decorative scheme in the style of Adam, with low relief plaster swags and emblems of music in wall panels, plain dado and enriched frieze. Paired marble fireplaces. Balcony carried on polished marble columns, now partitioned below. Open hall in front block is an early C20 feature, perhaps based on original structure, though nothing survives. Wide segmentally-arched stone fireplace with quatrefoil timber panels in hood. Leaded lights with armorial stained glass panels. An historic inn, closely associated with the London-Holyhead mail coaches and with such persons as Dickens, De Quincey, Paganini and Jenny Lind.

Listing NGR: SJ4931412340


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458768

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing