53, STONEY STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255183

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: 53, STONEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 53, STONEY STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:20:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 53, STONEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 57744 39668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE STONEY STREET 646-1/21/633 (East side) No.53

GV II

Warehouse and offices, and attached chimney. 1873. By F Williamson for Pratt, Hurst & Co., lace manufacturers. Addition facing Hollow Stone 1904, by WD Pratt of Nottingham for the same firm. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, quoins to end bays, ground floor and second floor sill bands, moulded eaves cornice and blocking course. Windows mainly reglazed, with stone lintels. 5 storeys plus basements; 5 x 14 windows. Corner site, sloping downwards left to right on Hollow Stone. Stoney Street front has a central ashlar doorcase with granite pilasters, cornice, and moulded 12-panel double doors with overlight. On each side, 2 windows. Above, a tripartite sash flanked by 2 windows. Above again, similar fenestration on each floor, with original margin glazed sashes to the second floor. Basement has 4 small openings, one blocked. Right return, to Hollow Stone, has projecting end bays, 2 windows. Regular fenestration, with original margin glazed sashes to the second floor. Basements have inserted loading doors in the centre and end bays. At the rear, an octagonal coped factory chimney. Addition, to right, red brick with ashlar ground floor and basement, ashlar dressings, and slate roof. 5 storeys plus basement and attics; 3 window range. Ground floor and basement have 3 tall round-arched openings divided by rusticated pilasters, with keystones and panelled transoms. To right, a cart entrance, to left, 2 cross casements, 3 lights. The arches are glazed, with wooden cross frames. Upper floors are divided by pilasters under a moulded cornice. On each floor, 3 paired windows, with original plain sashes to the third and fourth floors. Attic has a coped round topped gable with a 2-light window. (Nottingham Industrial Archaeological Society Journal: Oldfield G: Nottingham: 1983-: 3-7).

Listing NGR: SK5774439668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458885

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Nottingham Industrial Archaeology Society Journal' in Nottingham Industrial Archaeology Society Journal, (1983), 3-7

End of official listing