35, WARSER GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255208

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: 35, WARSER GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 35, WARSER GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:00:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 35, WARSER GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 57616 39898

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE WARSER GATE 646-1/21/685 (North side) No.35

GV II

Warehouse, now studios and workrooms. Dated 1879. By TH Kent of Chesterfield for Rogers & Black. Steel framing with concrete floors, ashlar basement, red brick skin, brick and ashlar dressings, and slate clerestory roof. EXTERIOR: plinth, cornice to basement. Windows to upper floors divided by brick pilasters into round-arched bays. Windows are mainly wooden framed casements with transoms. 4 storeys plus basement and attics; 8 window range. Corner site, with angled corner entrance bay . Warser Gate front has at basement level 5 barred windows, flanked by 6-panel double doors, the left door with cornice. Beyond, to right, a single window. Upper floors have 8 windows, with panelled lintels between floors. Clerestory roof has continuous fenestration. Entrance bay to right, ashlar, Baroque Revival style, 2 storeys. Rusticated round-arched doorway flanked by paired pilasters, with scroll keystone and entablature. Panelled double doors and fanlight. Above, a tripartite plain sash with coved mullions, flanked by paired pilasters. Cornice with central break and fanlight. Above again, a broken segmental pediment with finial and volutes. To right, a side bay, 2 storeys, single window, in the same style as the Warser Gate front. INTERIOR has jack-arched concrete floors. This building is an exceptionally early example of steel framing. Steel sections for this purpose were not regularly available till 1881. It also features an early use of in-situ concrete floors. (Journal of Textile History: Oldfield G: 1984-: 201; B Arch. Dissertations, University of Nottingham: Maddison CH: Nottingham Lace Market: 1976-).

Listing NGR: SK5761639898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458947

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maddison, C H , Nottingham Lace Market, (1976)
Maddison, C H , Nottingham Lace Market, (1976)
'Textile History' in Textile History, (1984), 201

End of official listing