CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255263

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, WOLLATON HALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:29:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, WOLLATON HALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 54750 39143

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NW WOLLATON HALL DRIVE 646-1/6/719 (North West side) Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. 1937-39. By Cecil Howitt of Nottingham. Endowed by Col. WG Player, and built by Harry Butler. Stained glass 1937, by AJ Dix of London. Buff brick, with moulded brick dressings and plain tile roof with coped gables and crosses. Plinth, string course, sill band, corbel table. Symmetrical single unit, with west porches and eastern vestries to north and south. Main body, 7 bays, has heavy, chamfered clasping buttresses. At each end, a traceried round-arched window, 5 lights. On each side, 5 tall rebated windows with round heads. Gabled vestries have canted corners and low parapets. Mullioned windows, 3-light, in the gables, and doors to east and west. Similar west porches have rebated round-arched doorways and double board doors. Small 2-light window each side. Sundial over west door. INTERIOR: brick, with coffered barrel vaulted wooden roof on corbels, with original wrought-iron pendant lamps. Single plain brick arch at each end. Ashlar string course and sill band. Panelled wooden reredos. Organ pipes flanking the west window. At each end, a doorway to north and south. Stained glass windows on each side. Original fittings including cubical ashlar font, panelled pulpit, lectern, desk and benches. Bronze inscribed tablet in memory of the founder, WG Player. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 274; Scoffham E: A Vision of the City: the architecture of TC Howitt: Nottingham: 1992-: 41).

Listing NGR: SK5475039143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 459078

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Scoffham, E R, A Vision of the City The Architecture of T C Howitt, (1992), 41
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 274

End of official listing