WOODTHORPE GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255290
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1994
Statutory Address:
WOODTHORPE GRANGE, WOODTHORPE DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODTHORPE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255290.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 20:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODTHORPE GRANGE, WOODTHORPE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 58344 43433

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE WOODTHORPE DRIVE 646-1/4/823 (South side (off)) 22/08/94 Woodthorpe Grange

II

House, now offices. Late C18, 1874. Rock-faced sandstone and ashlar with shallow pitched, hipped slate roofs and 7 stone chimney stacks. T-plan, rear range late C18, reclad 1874, front range added 1874. EXTERIOR: quoins chamfered plinth, moulded first floor sill band, moulded eaves topped with a balustrade. 2 storeys. West garden front 3 windows, with recessed centre containing a tripartite plain sash topped with a central segmental pediment, and above a similar window in a plain ashlar surround. Either side are 2-storey canted bay windows with plain sashes and moulded ashlar surrounds. North front has a single plain sash either side of an external stack on both floors. To the left a larger sash and above a Venetian window with moulded ashlar surround. Beyond to left a set back, lower wing with plain sashes. South entrance front has a single narrow sash either side of an external stack on both floors with to the right a projecting porch with coupled pilasters and a balustrade parapet. The doorway is round-headed with a pair of double panel doors and plain fanlight. Set back to the right the rear wing has a central plain sash flanked by tripartite sashes on both floors. INTERIOR completely refitted 1874. Entrance hall has glazed wooden screen and inner screen with green marble Corinthian columns and pilasters, Minton tile floor, dentillated coving, Classical door surrounds and a single flight and return staircase. The stair has an ornate iron balustrade with wooden handrail. 3 reception rooms to west have linking segmental arches, now blocked, deeply moulded coving, Classical doorcases and fine grey marble fireplaces. Upper floors have similar well preserved interior features including doorcases, fireplaces and coving, some rooms also retain the corner boxes for the gas ventilator system which vented through the ceiling roses. The house is reputed to have been built for a local lace manufacturer named Small.

Listing NGR: SK5834443433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459125
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14369/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].