This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VALE HOTEL (PUBLIC HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VALE HOTEL (PUBLIC HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1255455

Location

THE VALE HOTEL (PUBLIC HOUSE), MANSFIELD ROAD
THE VALE HOTEL (PUBLIC HOUSE), THACKERAY'S LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459723

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GEDLING SK 54 SE MANSFIELD ROAD, Daybrook (East side) 1569- /6/10013 The Vale Hotel (public house) GV II Hotel, now public house. 1935-37, extended 1964. Designed by T Cecil Howitt of Nottingham, for Home Ales Brewery. Pale brick with ashlar dressings and plain tile hipped roof with 2 ridge chimney stacks. Plain parapets topped with ashlar coping to all walls, and flat roofs to wings. Ashlar plinth and sill band. 2 storey with single storey wings. EXTERIOR. West front has projecting ground floor with 6 tall recessed windows linked by lintel and sill bands with stepped brick jambs, windows are 16-pane cross casements with margin light glazing. To either side set back, projecting lower porches, that to left with side doorway in stepped back brick surround with double panel doors, and that to right with front door in similar brick surround with single panel door. Above slightly projecting central section has 3 recessed windows in similar surrounds, windows are IS-pane tripartite cross casements. Set back side wings blank on both floors. North front has projecting single storey wing with semi-circular bowed window with S tall recessed windows in similar surrounds, windows are 16-pane cross casements with margin light glazing. Above 2 recessed windows in similar surrounds, windows are IS-pane tripartite cross casements. To left projecting altered wing with doorway in stepped back brick surround with double panel doors. South wing has similar fenestration and bowed ground floor wing as north front. Rear east front has later single storey wing, added 1964 in similar style, with S-light canted bay window. Above original slightly projecting centre, similar to west front, with 3 recessed windows in similar surrounds, windows are IS-pane tripartite cross casements. Either side set back wings have 2 similar, smaller windows, that to far right with a glazed door. Original metal frame casement windows throughout. INTERIOR, retains original plan form, with new bar added to rear by Howitt & Partners 1964, and most of its original Art Deco style decoration. Including original fluted bar front and arch and wooden panelling to south Smoke Room & Buffet, original bar to Public Bar. Original wooden panelling to Hall and Lounge, division between removed. Original coving, some original light fittings, original wooden door surrounds and doors with chrome door furniture. This fine quality Thirties public house designed by an important local, and nationally known, architect T Cecil Howitt, is extremely well preserved both externally and internally. It was featured in an important contemporary book, The Planning and Equipment of Public Houses by facis W B Yourke, which illustrated the very best examples of public house architecture of the period.



Listing NGR: SK5792644385

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Yorke, F W B, The Planning and Equipment of Public Houses, (1949)

National Grid Reference: SK 57926 44385

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 04:49:08.

End of official listing