CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255505

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:36:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 14015 71414

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1471 ST JAMES'S ROAD, Hampton

22/18/10059 CHURCH OF ST JAMES

II

Church, begun in 1864 by Wigginton (nave and chancel), completed with the tower by Romaine Walker and Tanner in 1888. Yellow stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Nave with aisles, tower at west end. Church enlarged in 1873 with addition of north aisle of 6 bays with transverse gables, which pierce roof of nave. Chancel enlarged and furnished in 1876-7 to Wigginton's plans. East window removed to west end and new window by Bailey inserted. South aisle and porch completed 1879. Tower, three stages with battlemented parapet, pinnacles and corner buttresses built 1887-8 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, by Romaine Walker and Tanner. Tall stone spire, pierced with brick banding, Clock by Smith and Derby added 1893. lNTERIOR: nave divided from aisles by 6 bay arcades with pointed arches resting on simple round piers with naturalistically carved capitals, all different. Open timber roof. Pointed chancel arch with red and black brick banding bordered by decorative inscription: '0 come let us ,worship and fall down and kneel before the Lord our Maker'. Chancel has elaborate timber roof with pairs of arched braces. Triple lancet window divided by columns with carved capitals. Choir stalls with carved ends and pierced fronts. Carved angel heads on corbels supporting roof braces. Altar rail: alabaster and marble colonnettes. Minton tiles in decorative floor scheme which continues behind the altar. Carved stone reredos depicting angels, fruit, birds, wheat, and bread. Pulpit: hexagonal alabaster and stone. East window: 1876 by Bailey of London; the rest of the stained glass is Edwardian. Four mosaic panels depict saints. Brass eagle lectern 1882. Baptistry: brick vaulted ceiling with stone ribs. Triple light window, and 2-light window on either side. Octagonal stone font with carved panels and marble colonnettes, 1865.



Listing NGR: TQ1401571414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 459808

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing