This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOUGH LANE CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOUGH LANE CENTRE

List entry Number: 1255556

Location

HOUGH LANE CENTRE, HOUGH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2434 HOUGH LANE, Bramley 714-1/25/548 (South East side) Hough Lane Centre

II

Formerly known as: Bramley Board School HOUGH LANE Bramley. Board school, now community centre. 1877. By Richard Adams. Coursed rock-faced gritstone, slate roof. Single storey 3-bay central hall range with gabled cross wings. Gothic Revival style. 3 finely-detailed entrances: in short gabled bays far left and far right, and to right of centre in main range; all have board door, 2 glazed panels in traceried overlights, circular panel above to left and right. Central gabled bay with transomed window of 3 cusped lights, flanking single lights, in chamfered arched recesses; carved band above with raised lettering: 'LEEDS/ BOARD SCHOOLS', trefoil panel above; gable copings, bud finial; at the junction with the main ridge a tall square-section bellcote or ventilator flue with carved openwork sides, lead-covered octagonal spire with finial above. Gabled wings: left, a tall 4-light window with 2 transoms, to right 2 three-light windows, external stack with carved ashlar trefoil-arched niche between. 3 ridge stacks, one with moulded bulbous cap, the other 2 reduced. INTERIOR: not inspected. The original arrangement was a central infants' entrance and the boys' and girls' entrances as far apart as possible. Richard Adams was architect of Leeds Board Schools 1873-1886 at a period when there was pressure on the Board to build schools quickly for the rapidly increasing population. He was responsible for 35 schools, of which about 16 remain; this is a fine example of his Gothic design for larger single-storey schools.

Listing NGR: SE2440034860

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 24400 34860

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:50:30.

End of official listing