MOUNT ST MARYS HIGH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255557
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
MOUNT ST MARYS HIGH SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOUNT ST MARYS HIGH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255557.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 16:24:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOUNT ST MARYS HIGH SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31264 33165

Details

LEEDS

SE3133 CHURCH ROAD, Richmond Hill 714-1/36/1038 (East side) 05/08/76 Mount St Mary's High School (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD, Richmond Hill St Mary's Convent and College)

GV II

Convent and college attached to St Mary's Convent Church (qv), now school. Convent 1861. By Matthew Ellison Hadfield. College added 1901. Tudor Revival style. Built around a courtyard with college on NW side. 3 storeys, 4 storeys to Church Road frontage. Coursed rock-faced masonry, slate roofs. Paired mullioned windows and canted bays to yard, string courses at floor levels. Gable entrance to college, SW end, has central wide doorway with 3-light overlight, flanking windows, all under a segmental-arched and stepped hoodmould with carved heads, possibly contemporary portraits, ashlar plaque right with inscription: 'JMJ/ St Mary's College/ The Revd. L G Roche OMI/ Blessed and Laid this stone/ 8th Sep 1901'. Stone chimney stacks with grouped octagonal shafts, square tower with tall hipped roof on NE side. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 377).



Listing NGR: SE3126433165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465870
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 377

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06115/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].