BOUNDARY WALL TO WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER WITH SOUTH WEST GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255561

Date first listed: 08-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER WITH SOUTH WEST GATEWAY, CHURCH ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL TO WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER WITH SOUTH WEST GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 16:19:19.

Location

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER WITH SOUTH WEST GATEWAY, CHURCH ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30612 33294

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SE CHURCH ROW 714-1/79/97 (East side) 08/05/74 Boundary wall to west of Parish Church of St Peter, with south-west gateway (Formerly Listed as: KIRKGATE (South side (off)) Gatepiers NW and SW of St Peter's Church and churchyard wall north and west)

GV II

Boundary wall to churchyard with gate piers and overthrow with lantern bracket. 1841. Gritstone, coursed and squared and cut to ashlar finish; cast-iron railings and overthrow. Approx 65m long and 1m high, rising to 1.5m, from north to south end; extending from west pier of NW gateway to churchyard along Church Row. 2 courses of ashlar at north end, raised with coursed squared blocks to accommodate drop in ground level; gabled coping with seating for missing railings for most of length, but a short length of railing with arrow-head finials to bars survives (or replaced) to left of gateway. Gate piers approx 3m high, square section, chamfered plinth and panelled sides, cornices with quatrefoil panels, 2-tier pyramidal caps. Overthrow has paired square-section bars linked by palmette motif at cornice height, scrolled at each side of lantern bracket. HISTORICAL NOTE: now opening into the end of Kirk Ings Yard and little used, this was one of the main entrances into the precinct of the old Church of St Peter and continued in use after the rebuild of 1839-41. Before the establishment of the present line of The Calls in c1830 to the south, the medieval routeway from the manor house and Briggate to the east was via this lane and the churchyard to Timble Bridge. (Thoresby Society and Leeds City Library: Giles map of Leeds, 1815 (Reprinted): 1987-).



Listing NGR: SE3061333294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465874

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Title: Giles Map of Leeds Source Date: 1815 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing