SALEM UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255568

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: SALEM UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, HUNSLET LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SALEM UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:14:55.

Location

Statutory Address: SALEM UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, HUNSLET LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30336 32982

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3032 HUNSLET LANE 714-1/43/209 (East side) 05/08/76 Salem United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: HUNSLET LANE Salen Chapel)

II

Independent chapel, now youth training workshop. Opened 1790, altered 1901. Squared gritstone, slate roof, hipped to front, modillion cornice, parapet with wreath carved in relief. Chamfered quoins. Entrance front: 2 storeys, elliptical on plan, curved steps; centre breaks forward with paired doorways with pilasters supporting entablature, flanked by stairway doors and round-headed windows, 2, and 3-light windows above, moulded sills, aprons, keyblocks. South side: original structure survives; 3 round-headed windows to ground floor, plain surrounds, impost and first-floor band; rectangular windows to upper floor. North side: fenestration as south, buttress to right. INTERIOR: staircases to left and right of entrance; no original features preserved, the gallery floored over. The chapel could count among its congregation some of the most influential business and professional families at the turn of the C19. The building, without the curved entrance block, is shown on the 1847 OS map. (Fraser, D: A History of Modern Leeds: 1980-: 251).



Listing NGR: SE3033632982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465881

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 251

End of official listing