CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255585
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255585 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 10:08:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28634 37335

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE CHURCH LANE, Meanwood 714-1/6/957 (East side (off)) 05/08/76 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II

Anglican church. 1849. By W Railton. For Mary and Elizabeth Beckett. Coursed squared gritstone with herring-bone tooling, ashlar details, steeply-pitched slate roofs with gable copings and crocketed finials. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave of 5 bays with S aisle and gabled porch, chancel with S door, N and S transepts, crossing tower. EXTERIOR: elaborate scrolled hinges to double doors; paired lancet windows to nave, 3 lancets to E window, 4 to W end, paired lancets with tall buttress between to transepts. 2-stage tower with stone broach spire, pinnacles, lucarnes and clock faces. INTERIOR: octagonal nave piers, carved bosses to corbels, high Gothic arched ribbed roof; tall moulded chancel arch; the chancel S door opens into a lobby area with the studded and decorated door to the tower stairs opposite. Original board doors, numbered pews. Octagonal stone font with niches, cover replaced, choir stalls and pulpit 1961. Other C19 features include: eagle lectern given by Mary Beckett, 1880; W window stained glass depicting prophets and apostles in memory of Sir Thomas Beckett of Somerby and Meanwood; N transept window in memory of Marian, wife of Thomas Wolryche Stansfield of Weetwood Grove, d.1861; S transept window in memory of Christopher Beckett of Meanwood, date lost; the E window glazing is a memorial to the founders, given by their brothers and sister, Sir Thomas Beckett bart., Edmund Denison, Henry Beckett and Fanny Marriott. S aisle windows: 2 commemorate Thomas Wolrych Stansfield of Weetwood Grove, died 15 December 1885; a fine pair of windows in Art Nouveau style in memory of Marian and Walter Rowley of Alder Hill, a knight of St John of Jerusalem, died 9 February 1926. A plaque on the N wall of the chancel records that the founders were daughters of Sir John Beckett bart, the Revd George Urquart vicar, Mr Thomas Midgley, churchwarden. The extensive use of the Beckett family name throughout the church compensates for the lack of any inscription on the family burial vault to the east (qv). (Linstrum, D: The Historic Architecture of Leeds: 1969-: 38).

Listing NGR: SE2863437335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465854
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D , The Historic Architecture of Leeds, (1969), 38

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11927/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Capt Colin Wolstenholme. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].