UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255587

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 28 AND 30, LODGE STREET

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 8 AND 9, HILLARY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255587 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 14:44:26.

Location

Statutory Address: 28 AND 30, LODGE STREET

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 8 AND 9, HILLARY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29554 34536

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE HILLARY PLACE, University Campus 714-1/72/1155 (South side) Nos.8 AND 9 University of Leeds School of Education

GV II

Includes: Nos.28 AND 30 LODGE STREET University Campus. House, now part of the University of Leeds School of Education. 1872. For TW Harding. Red brick, Flemish bond, rock-faced stone plinth and ashlar details, slate roof with truncated central stack. 3-storey corner site, the Hillary Place facade is of 4 bays, the left entrance bay recessed; the Cavendish Road facade is of 3 bays with central entrance and a recessed semicircular bay set back on the right. Plinth and quoins. Facade to Hillary Place: steps up to paired half-glazed doors with etched glass, plain fanlight, in ashlar round arch with bracketed cornice and blocking piece. Fenestration: cross-frame casements and stone architraves throughout, segmental heads to ground and 2nd floors, more elaborate 1st-floor detailing including moulded sill band, bracketed sills and deep cornices above tiled entablatures, segmental pediment far left. Bracketed and dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course. Facade to Cavendish Road (right return): entrance as Hillary Place, elaborate ground-floor fenestration with a semicircular bay window left, a 3-light pedimented window right, both with blue tiled band below cornice; 1st-, 2nd-floor and eaves detailing as Hillary Place facade. INTERIOR: Hillary Place: modillion ceiling cornice, oval stair well, substantial wooden staircase with column-on-vase balusters and wide ramped handrail. Cavendish Road entrance is into a narrow lobby with modillion cornice, round arch with pelican and foliage motifs; the staircase has a lion-mask terminal and wrought-iron balustrade with scrolls, ivy-leaf and flower motifs. TW Harding established the Tower Works in Globe Road (qv), manufacturing steel combing and carding pins, in the early 1860s. The house was purchased by the University in 1958.



Listing NGR: SE2955434536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465856

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing