Former lodge to Newton Hall with gate piers and flanking wall

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255604

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 315, Chapeltown Road, Leeds

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former lodge to Newton Hall with gate piers and flanking wall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 06:32:05.

Location

Statutory Address: 315, Chapeltown Road, Leeds

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30854 36270

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/12/2015

SE3036 714-1/19/1026

LEEDS, Potternewton, CHAPELTOWN ROAD (West side), No. 315 (Former lodge to Newton Hall) with gate piers and flanking wall

(Formerly listed as Offices of Central Let Property Management with gate piers and flanking wall)

GV II

Lodge to Newton Hall, now offices, with gate piers and short flanking walls on roadside to N. Dated 1856. Rock-faced ashlar, ashlar details, decorative slate roof, walls and piers of ashlar. Single storey over cellar, 1 x 2 bays. Plinth. Gothic Revival style. Entrance on N front: doorway right with moulded round arch and carved date plaque over; to left a 2-light moulded mullioned window, string course and band of red and cream tiles above; gable over with circular panel of blue, red and white tiles in flower pattern with star of David and cross; gable coping with vase and ball finials. Restored sash frames throughout. Left return (to road): 2 cellar openings with pierced cast-iron panels; 1- and 2-light windows, round-arched dormer left, gable right has a circular plaque carved with ivy leaves. Elaborate cast-iron rainwater pipes have raised diagonal bands and are enclosed by string course and plinth. A tall chimney with linked triple octagonal flues straddles the ridge, centre. Facade to St Martin's View: cellar opening with panel, small square-headed window, drip-mould and tile band, small pierced panel in the coped gable, vase with ball finials. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers: approx 1.5m high, square section, moulded plinth, cornice, shaped capstone, no finial. The wall to each side of the piers is monolithic and has a moulded coping, overall length of wall and gateway approx 8m. HISTORICAL NOTE: the lodge dates from the rebuilding of Newton Hall (demolished) while in the occupation of Arthur Lupton whose family owned the Town's End cloth dressing mill in 1788. In 1845 Darnton Lupton, mayor of Leeds, described how he had moved from the polluted air of the town centre to Potternewton c1840; Arthur's brothers, Francis and Darnton, developed the grounds S of the hall as a building speculation and the lodge was cut off from the house by the time Church of St Martin, St Martin's View (qv) was built, 1879. (Thoresby Society Publication Vols LX & LXI, Nos.131 & 132: Beresford MW: East End, West End, The Face of Leeds 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 293; Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1847-).

Listing NGR: SE3085436270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465826

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 293
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 132
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 131

End of official listing