STATUE OF SIR PETER FAIRBAIRN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255605

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: STATUE OF SIR PETER FAIRBAIRN, WOODHOUSE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF SIR PETER FAIRBAIRN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:12:36.

Location

Statutory Address: STATUE OF SIR PETER FAIRBAIRN, WOODHOUSE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29306 34023

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934SW WOODHOUSE SQUARE 714-1/73/452 (South side) 05/08/76 Statue of Sir Peter Fairbairn

II

Statue. 1868. By M Noble, sculptor. Tall granite pedestal with cornice and plinth, square plan. Inscription: SIR PETER FAIRBAIRN, KNT/ MAYOR OF LEEDS/ IN/ 1857 AND 1858/ THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY/ THE VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS/ OF HIS FELLOW TOWNSMEN. On the statue base, left side: M.NOBLE SCULP/ LONDON 1868. Bronze life-size standing figure, scroll in right hand, left hand resting on a plinth with cog wheel and drapery with chain of office. HISTORICAL NOTE: Peter Fairbairn came to Leeds from Kelso and started his engineering business in 1826 at the Wellington Foundry. He worked closely with John Marshall at his flax mills and with Matthew Murray and James Kitson was one of Leeds' engineering magnates. He was a churchwarden in the 1830s, councillor 1836-42 and in the 1850s his distinctions culminated in a knighthood from Queen Victoria at the opening of the new Town Hall in 1858. He lived at Fairbairn House, Clarendon Road (qv).



Listing NGR: SE2930634023

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465827

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing