CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255673

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CARDIGAN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 11:11:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CARDIGAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28139 34931

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE23SE CARDIGAN ROAD, Burley 714-1/10/88 (East side) 26/08/63 Church of St Margaret

II*

Anglican church. 1908-9, consecrated 1910. By Temple Moore. Incomplete; W end finished (without tower) 1964 by GG Pace. Gothic Revival style. Red brick, bands of coloured brick, gritstone dressings, interior of ashlar and rendered brick, slate roof. EXTERIOR: nave of 4 bays with clerestory and cross-gabled aisles, lancet windows; the E end has 2 tiers of 3 lancet windows. Central and outer entrances at W end in later addition. Stepped buttresses, cross finial to gable. INTERIOR: high and spacious, circular piers, moulded capitals, pointed arches of brick rendered in imitation of stone, timber rib-vaults. Slender quatrefoil columns support transverse tunnel vaults to aisles. Fine studded oak doors; floor of large square red clay tiles to walkways, boarded between. Wooden pulpit with traceried sides and sounding board; octagonal 'Gothic' font in SW corner dated 1837. At the E end (no chancel division): stained-glass window of the crucifixion dedicated to James Midgley of Burley, d.1908, a benefactor of the church; the wooden reredos has carved and gilded frieze with angels; a brass tablet commemorates Henry Ingham Rhodes, 'a strenuous worker for the building of this church', d.1917. At the W end of the S aisle a brass plaque records the dedication of the church on 13 February 1909 by the Bishop of Richmond, and consecration on 23 July 1910. At the W end of the N aisle a fine war memorial in Art Nouveau style: carved wooden frame, outer arched panels dated AD1914 and AD1918, the central panel has a wooden crucifix set against blue enamelled sky with clouds and stars, a brass plaque below has the inscription, 'IHS/ REMEMBER/ O LORD IN/ THY PITY/ THESE THY/ SERVANTS/ WHO DIED/ FOR KING &/ COUNTRY IN/ THE GREAT/ WAR'. The outer panels have lists of names below enamelled plaques with wreaths, the borders are of mosaic and the wall behind is plastered and painted with stylised garlands. An original drawing by Temple Moore, '37 Old Queen St, Westminster', shows the intended church with massive 5-stage W tower and possibly an apsidal chancel. Offices and vicarage were to stand on the S side, facing the road.



Listing NGR: SE2813934931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465755

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing