5, WOODHOUSE CLIFF

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255687

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 5, WOODHOUSE CLIFF

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5, WOODHOUSE CLIFF
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:41:43.

Location

Statutory Address: 5, WOODHOUSE CLIFF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29094 35609

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2935 WOODHOUSE CLIFF, Woodhouse 714-1/24/1263 (North side) 05/08/76 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: WOODHOUSE CLIFF, Woodhouse Nos.5 AND 5A)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cliff House WOODHOUSE CLIFF Woodhouse. House. Late C17 with C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Plinth and quoins. Half-glazed door bay 3 with overlight in plain stone surround. Windows, ground floor: paired plate-glass sashes in plain stone surrounds with slender mullions, the sills lowered; first floor, bays 1, 2 and 4: paired C20 casements in plain surrounds with flat-faced mullions and continuous sill band; above entrance: plate-glass sash in Gibbs surround with keyblock. Eaves band and blocking course, gable copings and banded ridge stacks at each end and between bays 1 and 2. INTERIOR: hall entrance passage and landing with elliptical arch, staircase with turned balusters; roof structure comprises king post trusses with longitudinal braces, trenched purlins, the rear roof pitch raised to create an outshut; elsewhere ceiling beams are encased in plaster. An important survival of a farmhouse of C17 origin which stood on the edge of the settlement of Wrangthorn, the land to the E developed as quarries by the mid C19 (OS map). Previously known as Cliff House, in 1872 it was the home of Thomas S Hudson, a woollen merchant of the firm of Hudson, Sykes and Bousfield of No.19 Wellington Street. (qv). (Porter's Directory of Leeds: 1872-1873).



Listing NGR: SE2909435609

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465769

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Porters Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood' in Porters Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1872)

End of official listing