SYCAMORE LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255688

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: SYCAMORE LODGE, 7A, WOODHOUSE CLIFF

Map

Ordnance survey map of SYCAMORE LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 15:55:15.

Location

Statutory Address: SYCAMORE LODGE, 7A, WOODHOUSE CLIFF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29145 35597

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2935 WOODHOUSE CLIFF, Woodhouse 714-1/24/1264 (North side) No.7A Sycamore Lodge

GV II

House, now offices. c1860, late C20 conversion to offices. Red brick, stretcher bond, ashlar details, slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, the central entrance bay having a 3-storey tower with entrance in right return and the right bay set back. Quoins. Italianate style. Modern double entrance doors in round arch with rusticated voussoirs and female head carved on keystone; tower windows are single and paired round arches, the top storey with stone bracketed balcony and cast-iron rail; bracketed eaves, pyramid roof, ornate cast-iron finial; carved stone plaque above 1st-floor window depicts a sailing ship and the motto, 'TUTUS IN UNDIS' ('safety on the waves') and initials 'EW'. Bays 1 and 3 have a canted bay window with pedimented blocking course to ground floor and a segmental-arched sash in architrave with console brackets and cornice with carved plaque to 1st floor. Left bay gabled; deep bracketed eaves, end stacks. Left return: 3 uneven bays, the centre breaks forward and is rendered; single light to ground floor, the 3 first-floor windows in round-arched architraves. INTERIOR: entrance lobby and stair hall: egg-and-dart mouldings and moulded ceiling cornices, 6-panel doors, oak staircase with carved newel. 'EW' was probably Edward Wood, a manufacturing chemist whose house was at Woodhouse Cliff in 1866 (directory). He was a partner in the firm of Wood and Bedford of No.27 Kirkstall Road (not included), and James Bedford's address was Sycamore Lodge in the 1873 directory. In October 1876 James and his brother Charles made reputedly the first telephone conversation in Britain between the upper floor and the outhouse ('Woodhouse Remembered', p10). James Bedford was still at Sycamore Lodge in 1881, the architect Francis Bedford was a member of this family. (White's Directory of Leeds, Bradford, etc: 1866-; Porter's Directory of Leeds: 1872-1873: 33; Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1881-; Woodhouse Local History Group: Woodhouse Remembered: 1991-: 10).

Listing NGR: SE2914535597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465770

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
White's Directory of Leeds, (1866)
'Woodhouse Local History Group' in Woodhouse Remembered, (1991), 10
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1881)
'Porters Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood' in Porters Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1872), 33

End of official listing