ROUNDHAY GRANGE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255708

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: ROUNDHAY GRANGE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING TO SOUTH, WETHERBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROUNDHAY GRANGE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255708 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:27:23.

Location

Statutory Address: ROUNDHAY GRANGE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING TO SOUTH, WETHERBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 34586 37758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW WETHERBY ROAD, Roundhay 714-1/7/1066 (West side (off)) 19/10/51 Roundhay Grange including barn adjoining to south

GV II

Farmhouse and attached outbuilding. Outbuilding C17, farmhouse late C18, altered mid C19 and c1915. Coursed gritstone rubble, stone slate roofs and timber-frame. Late C18 farmhouse with alterations mid C19 and c1915 for Roland Dudley Kitson; the outbuilding is the C17 wing of an earlier house and retains timber-framing of the C16 or earlier. The C18 range is of 2 storeys and 5 windows, on the N side of the farm yard, with a 2-bay wing projecting southwards on right. C20 doors and window frames to ground floor, small square windows to 1st floor with an inserted stair window, possibly a loading doorway, to left of centre. A coping to the rebuilt left gable, and brick ridge stacks possibly defining the original extent of the C18 house. The right wing is built of larger squared stonework; the openings are C20 with entrance left bay; the roof line to right bay slightly steeper and roofed in slate on this side. The rear (east) garden front has 5 first-floor windows, sashes with glazing bars, and the entrance under wooden porch has tri-stone jambs, chamfered shallow pointed lintel with carved spandrels. C17 wing, now outbuilding: S gable has chamfered plinth, remains of continuous moulded string at 1st-floor level, square C19 windows in blocked openings of former mullioned windows, pigeon loft opening and perches in gable. On the left return: 2 bays, coursed stonework as gable on right, rubble infill walling left; plinth and external stack right, barn and loading doors left. INTERIOR: farmhouse garden entrance opens into a panelled stair hall; the massive framed wooden staircase is probably an early C20 introduction, with bulbous balusters, square-section end newels with recessed panels, closed string, pegged panelling; the house is reputed to have a king-post roof with V-braces. C17 wing: the S bay has 3 substantial cross beams with stepped chamfer stops and mortices for a framed ceiling; on the W wall the large (external stack) fireplace with massive stone lintel and traces of a roll moulding to jambs; a 2nd fireplace with large lintel, plastered over, on the upper floor, now hay

loft. The N bay (rubble walling) has a further 2 chamfered cross beams and a small flat Tudor arch to a fireplace on the W wall (no flue surviving). In the N wall of this bay, against the end of the house wing, part of the wall of a timber-framed range is preserved, originally the external wall probably extending westwards into the present yard area, the width represented by the rubble walling. The lower walling is of large squared blocks, the one principal post visible is thickened at the top and morticed for a tie-beam brace, angle braces rise to the wall plate and vertical studs form the infill between wall plate and a bressumer which rests on the stone walling. Further timbers may survive under later work. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Roundhay Grange site has been associated with the lost Domesday village of Watecroft and a farm belonging to Kirkstall Abbey; the C17 and earlier structures suggest a continuity of occupation after the Dissolution and are of considerable historic importance. (West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council: Faull ML & Moorhouse S: West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to AD 1500: Wakefield: 1981-: 496, 798).





Listing NGR: SE3458637758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465743

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Michelmore, DJH, West Yorkshire: an Archaeological Survey to AD 1500, (1981), 496, 798

End of official listing