CHURCHILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255726
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCHILL HOUSE, 17, WELLINGTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 12:06:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCHILL HOUSE, 17, WELLINGTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29724 33399

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE WELLINGTON STREET 714-1/77/425 (South side) No.17 Churchill House

GV II

Woollen warehouse, now offices. Mid C19, converted C20. Probably by George Corson. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 4 storeys over basement, 7 bays. Pilaster far right. Steps up to central doorway in Moorish-style archway with paired columns in reveals and circular overlight, paterae carved in the spandrels. Rusticated basement with flat-arched windows; pointed arches to ground floor, the central window on the right larger and with plate tracery. A deep moulded cornice at 1st-floor level projects over entrance and over the pilaster, right, which has a carved stone plaque with circular panel. 1st, and 2nd-floor windows: segmental-arched, stone architraves, keyed to 1st floor, stone sills. 3rd floor: paired round-headed arches with colonnettes between, ashlar band and continuous moulded sill. A plain band below the sill is deepened for name plaque at centre and extends over the pilaster far right which is terminated by a circular plaque carved with a fleece. Modillion eaves cornice. INTERIOR: not inspected. Probably built shortly before 1859, the date of No.19, right (qv); part of the extensive development between Aire Street and King Street built in response to the need of woollen merchants for warehousing close to the railway stations. George Corson designed the very similar warehouses immediately to the east for William Lupton and D and J Cooper (demolished) and the pilaster on the right suggests that this building in fact extended further east. In 1861 No.17 was the warehouse of Thomas Pawson, Son and Martin, woollen manufacturers and merchants who owned Stonebridge Mill, Wortley. (Butler Wilson, T: Two Leeds Architects: Brodrick and Corson: 1937-: 48; Directory of Leeds: 1861-).



Listing NGR: SE2972433399

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465715
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Butler Wilson, T , Two Architects Cuthbert Brodrick and George Corson, (1937), 48

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14722/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].