This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE OVER HOL BECK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE OVER HOL BECK

List entry Number: 1255738

Location

BRIDGE OVER HOL BECK, WATER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2932 WATER LANE, Holbeck 714-1/42/860 (North side) Bridge over Hol Beck

GV II

Bridge, flanking railings, and south piers. Dated 1849. For Marshall's Flax Mill. Cast-iron. Bridge of single flat span, approx 4m wide, the exposed faces having a roll moulding and recessed panel with the date in relief. Railing: spearhead finials above moulded rail, column-style standard at north ends, finials missing. Piers: square section, approx 1.75m tall; plinth, recessed panel, moulded cornice survives to left. This structure replaced a wooden bridge probably of c1808 which linked the flax spinning mill built by John Marshall on the north side of Hol Beck with his new warehouse on the south side, now on the corner of Marshall Street (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: Marshall's mill properties were developed southwards, away from the original mill, as far as the Temple Mill, completed in 1843 (qv). The old mill continued in use and is shown in detail on the 1847 Ordnance Survey map, the wooden bridge carrying all the traffic between the two parts of the works. The construction of the new bridge coincides with the establishment of the line of Globe Road by 1850, but at that date Marshall's property was the only complex between the Hol Beck and the canal. By 1866 Marshall's had ceased to use the buildings north of the bridge and the site was almost clear; the Globe Foundry had been built and was beginning to expand on the north side of Globe Road (qv). The bridge therefore dates from the final use of the north side of Hol Beck by Marshall's Flax Mill; the firm closed in 1886. (Captain Tucker, surveyor: Ordnance Survey Map scale 5 feet: 1 mile: 1847-1850; Rapkin J: A map of Leeds: 1850-; Brierley W: Map of the Town of Leeds and its Vicinity: 1866-).



Listing NGR: SE2947532916

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 29475 32916

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 08:51:44.

End of official listing