Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255746.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2020 at 03:38:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27454 37802



SE23NE WEETWOOD LANE, Weetwood 714-1/6/1225 (West side (off)) Bardon Grange


Large house, now university hall of residence. 1860/61. Attributed to Cuthbert Brodrick. For William Brown. Ashlar, grey slate hipped roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, left bay set back. Moulded plinth. Bays 4 and 5 break forward slightly and have a shallow hipped roof; the round-arched entrance, left, has carved stone bosses between roll-mouldings and top-glazed panelled door. Full-height 3-light canted bay window to right; segmental-arched plate-glass sashes in roll-moulded architraves throughout, moulded 1st-floor string and sill band with carved flower motif, deep bracketed eaves, tall modillion-corniced end stacks. Added dormer. The fine detailing, entrance and deep eaves are characteristic of Brodrick's work seen at No.9, Alma Road (qv). INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: William Brown bought 93 acres of the Englefield Estate in 1858. He was a stuff merchant with premises in Bradford and linked with the business of Thomas Wolrych Stansfield of Weetwood Grove (qv). The banking firm of William Brown and Co had premises in Commercial Street and later Park Row in Leeds; the Oxley family of Spenfield (qv) and The Elms were close neighbours of the builder of Bardon Grange and were partners in the banking firm, presumably the same William Brown. The house remained in the Brown family until at least 1920 (Miss Jane Elizabeth, Kelly's Directory). (Powell K & Douglas J, Victorian Society (pers.comm.): 1992-; Kelly et al., Leeds Directories: 1864-1920).

Listing NGR: SE2745437802


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Powell, K, Douglas, J, Victorian Society, (1992)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTheLis[email protected].