FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES TO BARDON HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255750
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1996
Statutory Address:
FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES TO BARDON HILL, WEETWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES TO BARDON HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 06:21:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES TO BARDON HILL, WEETWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27206 37682

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE WEETWOOD LANE, Weetwood 714-1/6/1233 (West side (off)) 17/06/96 Former Coach House and Stables to Bardon Hill

GV II

Formerly known as: Dining room and caretakers flat at St Urban's School WEETWOOD LANE Weetwood. Coach house and stables with walls and railings, now dining room, gymnasium and flat. 1873-5, largely rebuilt c1902. By Thomas Winn. For Joseph Pickersgill. Coursed gritstone ground floor, timber-framed upper floor, red tiled roof, part restored (see below). 2 storeys, U-plan with part-domestic W range flanked by projecting N (stables) and S (coach-house/exercise area) wings. Vernacular Revival style. Fine detailing includes, to ground floor: stable doors with branched strap hinges and moulded raised lintel with flanking and top lights containing decorative coloured glass, in a shallow pointed arch of ashlar voussoirs. The arch repeated in windows and doors surrounding the stable yard, the 2 doorways and 3 windows to the ground floor, main range being very large, with wooden small-pane frames. First-floor: main range similar window to N wing. E gables of wings have a 3-light (left) and a single light (right) window above the moulded stone string, carved brackets below a cambered machicolated collar and tiled gablet. The yard is closed by a low wall with wrought-iron railing incorporating scrolled panels with Art Nouveau motifs, rusticated piers. Rear (west) facade: external stairs with distinctive wrought-iron panel, semicircular lobby, gables left and right; walls to rear yard with railings, ball finials to gate piers, timber panelled gates with strap hinges. INTERIOR: very fine tiling survives in the stables, also cast-iron stall divisions, stained-glass windows; the rear engine house and lobby also tiled and yard floor set with herringbone pattern cobbles and tiles. HISTORICAL NOTE: archives of the Leeds clock-makers Potts include a note that a Cambridge Quarter Clock with 4 illuminated dials and 5 bells was supplied c1901 for J Pickersgill, Bardon Hill, Weetwood Lane, Headingley. The structure possibly stood in the centre of the ridge, where tiles have been replaced. Joseph Pickersgill was described as a millionaire race-horse owner in his obituary, 1920.

(Yorkshire Evening Post, 23 August 1920: Obituary of Joseph Pickersgill; Hopwood A (pers.comm) January 1993; RCHME: Historic Building Report: Bardon Hill aka St Urban's School: 1995-).



Listing NGR: SE2720637682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465693
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Historic Building Report' in Bardon Hill aka St Urbans School, (1995)
'Yorkshire Evening Post' in Yorkshire Evening Post - 23 August 1920, (1920)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].