OXLEY CROFT HALL OF RESIDENCE LEEDS UNIVERSITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255753
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
OXLEY CROFT HALL OF RESIDENCE LEEDS UNIVERSITY, WEETWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXLEY CROFT HALL OF RESIDENCE LEEDS UNIVERSITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255753.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 15:15:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
OXLEY CROFT HALL OF RESIDENCE LEEDS UNIVERSITY, WEETWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27447 38048

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE WEETWOOD LANE, Weetwood 714-1/6/1229 (East side) Oxley Croft Hall of Residence, Leeds University

II

Formerly known as: Weetwood Croft WEETWOOD LANE Weetwood. Formerly known as: The Croft WEETWOOD LANE Weetwood. House, now hall of residence. Dated 1898. By Francis W Bedford. For Joseph Hartley Wicksteed. Snecked gritstone, ashlar details, cement tile roof. 2 storeys with cellars and attic, L-plan, 3-bay entrance wing and 4-bay rear range. Chamfered plinth. Vernacular Revival style. Mullioned windows with leaded lights throughout. Entrance wing, facing road, has moulded segmental arch to single-storey porch centre, carved stone parapet above, narrow lancet left and 3-light inner window with decorative leaded glass; gabled bay left with king mullions to 5- and 4-light mullion and transom windows. Tall 4-flue chamfered stack straddles ridge to right of centre. Garden front: doorway bay 3 with moulded surround, oak door with strap hinges, deep wooden porch with bench and lead roof, 3- and 2-light windows to 1st and attic storey above, the attic window in gable with chamfered chimney stack right. Canted bay window left, paired 3-light dormers above. Projecting entrance wing left has canted bay window to ground floor, 4-light mullion and transom window with central king mullion above, carved gable sundial with raised lettering: '1898 TRUE AS THE SUN'. Rear: the 2 central bays (service rooms) project and are gabled; '1898' on rainwater heads. INTERIOR: original front door of oak planks with fillets, strap hinges, latch, letter box; inner porch with electric wall lantern; floorboards to principal rooms; 6-panel door to hall which has pegged panelling, large inglenook style fireplace right with moulded sneck post, stone surround, 'firewindow' with stained-glass owl, doorway to living room. Hall window has stained-glass roundels with biblical/sea scenes. Doorway left into a main living room: 6 moulded panels to door, panelled dado, cupboard, fire surround and shelves. Timber-framed staircase left with heavy splat balusters, built-in bench. Corridor left through to service rooms, red quarry tile flooring, alongside the former dining room which has dark

wood-panelled surround to fireplace, not seen in detail. Rear kitchen with green and blue glazed and moulded tiles, white tiled stove recess; service stairs to side of garden door, rear laundry room with white glazed brick walls. The house was built for Joseph Wicksteed, an engineer possibly associated with the Kitson firm. Originally called 'The Croft' and later 'Weetwood Croft', it was re-named when it became a university hall of residence.





Listing NGR: SE2744738048

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465696
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].