FORMER SPINNING MILL RANGES AT CARR MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255761

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: FORMER SPINNING MILL RANGES AT CARR MILLS, 322, BUSLINGTHORPE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SPINNING MILL RANGES AT CARR MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 00:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER SPINNING MILL RANGES AT CARR MILLS, 322, BUSLINGTHORPE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29988 35630

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW BUSLINGTHORPE LANE, Buslingthorpe 714-1/7/1294 (West side) 05/08/76 No.322 Former spinning mill ranges at Carr Mills (Formerly Listed as: MEANWOOD, Buslingthorpe No.322 Carr Mills, main building and entrance building (No.136 Buslingthorpe Lane))

GV II

Spinning mill ranges, now light industrial units. 1810, altered C19 and C20. For Abraham Rhodes. Coursed square gritstone, thin courses, separately roofed in stone slates. L-plan, 4+1 storeys and 14 and 8 windows long; a lower 3-storey extension at NE end. Plain openings with stone lintels and sills, C20 casements. INTERIOR: reputed to have structural features dating from 1810-1850 including cast-iron beams supporting stone flag floors, the parabolic beams installed flange uppermost and single span, the flanges bulbous in form indicating a correct understanding of the bending moment across the span, and intermediate joists set in sockets cast in the sides of the beams. Abraham Rhodes built Beech Grove House, warehouse and workshops Beech Grove now part of the Leeds University campus (qv) in 1799 and in 1810 built this mill at Woodhouse Carr, continuing to rent the workshops at Beech Grove. In 1864 the mill was taken over by Peter Laycock. (Industrial Archaeology Review, X, 2, Spring 1988: Fitzgerald RS: The Development of the Cast-iron frame in Textile Mills to 1850: 1988-: 134; Leeds University Press: Beresford M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds: 1980-: 44; Thoresby Society Publications, LX & LXI, 131 & 132: Beresford MW: East End, West End. The Face of Leeds 1684-1842.: Leeds: 1988-: 325).



Listing NGR: SE2998835630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465658

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M , Walks Round Red Brick, (1980), 44
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 325
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 131
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 132
Fitzgerald, R, 'Industrial Archaeology Review' in The Development of the Cast Iron Frame in Textile Mills to 1850, (1988)

End of official listing